Your baby’s crib is basically the centerpiece of their beautiful nursery, so a lot of time goes into picking the right one. While finding a crib with the perfect aesthetic for your baby’s nursery is fun, you also want to consider its safety, functionality, and longevity, which is why convertible cribs are so ideal.
As far as safety goes, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the bars of your baby’s crib should be 2 3/8 inches apart to avoid the possibility of injury. While dropside cribs have been banned and taken off the market as per the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011, this crib style may still be circulating via secondhand sellers and should be avoided due to the suffocation and strangulation hazard.
Looking for a new crib for your baby? Here are the best wood to make a baby crib with for 2022.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
How much should I spend on a crib?
In a recent survey by the Good Housekeeping Institute, the majority of our respondents said that they would ideally spend less than $300 on a crib. While it is definitely possible to get a great, safe crib for under $300, many cribs worthy of consideration cost far more than this. You also have to consider delivery and installation fees (unless you are picking up and installing yourself), as well as the cost of a crib mattress.
That said, convertible cribs offer a great value because you can use the same piece of furniture for your child’s sleep environment as your child grows instead of requiring brand new pieces to be purchased.
How do I pick a safe crib?
The best crib is one that is safe and that meets your needs. The good news on the safety front is that all new cribs sold in the United States are required to meet stringent safety testing as set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as part of the federal regulations of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
The basis for the safety requirements are two ASTM International crib standards which incorporate factors like the distance between slats, the physical integrity of the slats, crib hardware requirements and revised safety testing protocols.
Be exceptionally wary of buying or using a hand-me-down crib. Older cribs may not meet the more stringent safety standards in place today. Worn-out pieces or missing hardware can pose serious problems for the integrity of the furniture. If you do opt for a used crib, check that it has not been recalled and do your own safety checks to ensure it does not use drop sides, that the distance between the slats are no larger than 2 ⅜” apart, and that corner posts are not higher than 1/16”.
What to Look for When Buying a Convertible Crib
As with all baby products, safety is the first thing to look for when purchasing a crib for your baby. For the safest sleep environment, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says parents should look for a crib with bars spaced no more than 2.37 inches apart with more than 26 inches of bar space above the crib mattress when it’s sitting at its highest point and free of any decorative carvings or cut-outs that could be hazardous to a curious baby.
Convertible cribs are very popular, but not all of them offer the same conversion options. Consider which conversions will work best for your family. If you plan to have young kids close together, then you may just need a crib with multiple mattress height options, or if this is your last child then a 4-in-1 may be ideal so that it’s the only bed you’ll need to buy for them.
While convertible cribs are convenient, they may cost you a little extra upfront, depending on the type or brand you choose, and any additional pieces that are needed. Typically, not all conversion kits are sold with a crib and must be purchased individually. Overall, a convertible crib may save you money over time, but you will have to pay extra for conversion kits that are sold separately.
Materials and Durability
Since your baby will inevitably start chewing on the crib’s railing, make sure you’re getting one made of materials that are free of toxins. Also, look for a crib with high-quality paint or stain that won’t chip over time so that you can get as much use out of the bed as possible.
Finally, the crib should be securely assembled without wiggling or making a lot of noise when your child moves around in it. It’s possible that your baby will climb out of their crib at some point, so you want the crib to be durable, strong, and one you can reuse if needed down the road.
Design and Functionality
In addition to conversion options, you also want to consider the crib’s overall design. If it’s made to grow with your child, is the design trendy or something timeless that will still look good a decade from now? Does the design work for your lifestyle and/or the room that it’s in? Do you want one with wheels so that you can move it around easily?
While the crib’s overall look is the most fun thing to consider, you also want to be sure its design meets all of your needs. If you have a small room to work with, you’ll want a crib that fits in the space without it being too big.
Cribs by Age
Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
Our Proposed Top 10 best wood to make a baby crib with Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- What you will get: you will receive 1 set of handmade wooden bead pendant wind chimes, the package comes with various sizes of beads, made of quality wooden beads and bamboo, safe and reliable, will not cause discomfort to your baby
- Enjoy DIY design: you can assemble the wind chime with your family, and then hang the wind chime on the armrest of the crib or connect it from the ceiling; You can hang some handmade products on it; After the assembly is completed, you will get a lot of satisfaction and happiness; Please note that paper cranes are not included
- More stable and safe: the mobile hanger kit can not only meet the needs of adults, but also meet the needs of your baby, you can hang some cute toys to make the baby laugh, the product is round, which can hold the decorations more stably and is not easy to deform
- Easy to install: you can use the rope and small needle in the product to go through the holes in the nursery bed bell, make sure the rings are level when you make them, and then decorate them with wooden beads; Easy to handle, light weight, you can hang the wind chime kit in glass, under a porch or in your bedroom
- Nice gift: wind chime supplies are nice gifts for babies, family, they can be applied as birthday gift and graduation gift, housewarming gift, and also suitable for wedding supplies, birthday parties or simple room hanging decorations
- 👍 NO MORE PLASTIC-JETM·HH Baby Mobile Arm 100% Natural beech without any metal!Non-toxic,odorless,frosted and smooth,no debris
- 🏠 MODERN GENDER DESIGN-Height is 30 in.Fit most baby cribs, perfect nursery decor, free music box and stickers, good Ideal for any DIY crib set
- 🔧 EASY TO ASSEMBLE-Small size,7 parts which are easy to install. You don’t need to use tools only need to assemble the parts in 1-2min. Also can be used conveniently during the travel
- ➡️ STURDY ANTI-SLIP-When designing products to ensure the safety of your baby, we give full consideration to safety. We are weight tested and the arms can hold up to 3 pounds of force
- 🎁 UNIQUE GIFT-A nice addition to your babies crib set！Perfect for your family or friends' baby shower christening gift
- Davies, Simone (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 288 Pages - 05/11/2021 (Publication Date) - Workman Publishing Company (Publisher)
- 😍 UPDATED DESIGN! NOW WITH SILICONE PADS INSTEAD OF FELT FOR THE PERFECT HOLD. LOVELY WOODEN CRIB ARM ATTACHMENT - Made of Beechwood. A natural and lovely addition to any nursery!
- ❤ BEAUTY AND FUNCTION UNITE - Our crib mobile arm will compliment your nursery design. No more large plastic eyesores to take away from your lovely nursery!
- 👶 HEIRLOOM QUALITY, MINIMALIST DESIGN - Simple to take apart and store for future babies!
- ✔EASY INSTALLMENT - Its lightweight and high quality design makes it easy to assemble and to install in your baby's crib.
- ❎ ATTENTION: This crib arm works with MOST cribs. There must be bars and a flat surface for the wooden arm to attach to! CRIB MOBILE NOT INCLUDED!
- VERSATILE MODERN DESIGN: The best-selling Hudson's iconic turned-out foot, rounded spindle design, and open silhouette make it a versatile choice for the modern nursery. Complete your nursery with the Hudson 3-drawer or 6-drawer dresser.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: The Hudson has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow.
- 3-IN-1 CONVERTABILITY AND ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: The Hudson transitions from crib to toddler bed and daybed, with an included toddler bed conversion kit. The low profile design and 4 adjustable mattress positions make it easy to put a newborn to rest.
- SAFE FOR BABE: We go the extra step to ensure your babe's safety. Finished in a non-toxic multi-step painting and staining process that is lead and phthalate safe.
- SUSTAINABLE DESIGN: Made with sustainably sourced solid New Zealand pine wood, one of the most renewable woods available. Our hidden hardware ensures a clean look with no visible screws or bolts seen on the furniture exterior.
- CONVERTIBLE CRIB: Converts from a crib to a toddler bed, daybed and full size bed with headboard & footboard (Daybed Rail included; Toddler Guardrail #0080 and Full Size Bed Rails #0050 sold separately)
- GROWS WITH BABY: The 3 position mattress height adjustment on this crib allows you to lower the mattress as your baby begins to sit or stand
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong and sturdy wood construction helps create a dream nursery where you’ll spend plenty of Mommy and Me/Daddy and Me time Easy assembly
- WE PUT YOUR BABY’S SAFETY FIRST: This crib is JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by ASTM Tested for lead and other toxic elements to meet or exceed government and ASTM safety standards
- SIZE: 55.75”W x 30.50”D x 43.75”H Fits standard size crib mattress (sold separately) Cuna para bebé que se convierte en una cama para niño/niña, sofá cama y cama de tamaño completo
- Control From Anywhere: Turn electronics on or off from anywhere with your smartphone using the Kasa app (Compatible w/ Android & iOS)
- Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and MicroSoft Cortana supported devices for a hands free experience
- Compact Design: Won't block the other wall outlet allowing two Smart Plugs to be installed side by side
- Kasa scenes & schedules: Schedule the Smart plug to automatically switch on and off when away or set a scene for controlling many devices with a single button
- Note: Requires a secured 2.4 GigaHertz Wi Fi network connection
- LB Kids
- London, Olivia (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 24 Pages - 10/07/2014 (Publication Date) - LB Kids (Publisher)
- Electronic module features music, vibration and soft nightlight
- Rocking base sways back and forth with a gentle push (make sure retractable wheels are up to enable rocking feature)
- Includes 1" mattress pad with removable and machine washable mattress pad
- Requires four AA batteries (not included)
- JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by ASTM
- Assembly of 1 customer-supplied crib per product instructions
- Assemble per product instructions
- Moving product after assembly is not included
- Cleanup work area. Take packaging to customer's bins unless customer declines
- This service does not include haul-away of products or trash
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cribs with adjustable sides safe?
Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate’s functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap.
Can crib height be adjusted?
There are many reasons to adjust your crib mattress’s height and angle. It’s safe to raise or lower the mattress height — as long as you do it correctly. The important thing to remember is to follow the guidelines: keep your baby’s crib clear, and watch their development so you know when to lower their crib.
Are drop side cribs banned in US?
For these alarming reasons, in 2011 the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC) banned the production and sale of drop-side cribs, as well as implemented strict safety standards and more stringent testing requirements across the crib-manufacturing industry.
Are some cribs safer than others?
Here are a few specific things parents should look for in a safe crib: Crib slats or bars should be no wider than 2 3/8 inches apart. Some experts suggest gauging whether a soda can would fit through — if so, they’re dangerously far apart.
Can newborn sleep in crib?
Your baby can start sleeping in a crib from day one, but you may decide to use a bassinet for the first month or so.
You may want to buy your wood to make a baby crib with for a few months before your baby arrives to make sure that all the pieces are included in the box and they’re free of damage. Setting up your crib in advance also allows you to air it out if off-gassing or odor is a concern.
Plus, putting up the crib makes this whole baby thing a lot more real. After you’ve weighed all the many options and made a purchase, be sure to have some fun daydreaming about your little one snoozing in their new crib!