Your baby’s crib is basically the centerpiece of their beautiful nursery, so a lot of time goes into picking the right one. While finding a crib with the perfect aesthetic for your baby’s nursery is fun, you also want to consider its safety, functionality, and longevity, which is why convertible cribs are so ideal.
As far as safety goes, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the bars of your baby’s crib should be 2 3/8 inches apart to avoid the possibility of injury. While dropside cribs have been banned and taken off the market as per the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011, this crib style may still be circulating via secondhand sellers and should be avoided due to the suffocation and strangulation hazard.
Looking for a new crib for your baby? Here are the best bedside crib for small spaces for 2022.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
How much should I spend on a crib?
In a recent survey by the Good Housekeeping Institute, the majority of our respondents said that they would ideally spend less than $300 on a crib. While it is definitely possible to get a great, safe crib for under $300, many cribs worthy of consideration cost far more than this. You also have to consider delivery and installation fees (unless you are picking up and installing yourself), as well as the cost of a crib mattress.
That said, convertible cribs offer a great value because you can use the same piece of furniture for your child’s sleep environment as your child grows instead of requiring brand new pieces to be purchased.
How do I pick a safe crib?
The best crib is one that is safe and that meets your needs. The good news on the safety front is that all new cribs sold in the United States are required to meet stringent safety testing as set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as part of the federal regulations of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
The basis for the safety requirements are two ASTM International crib standards which incorporate factors like the distance between slats, the physical integrity of the slats, crib hardware requirements and revised safety testing protocols.
Be exceptionally wary of buying or using a hand-me-down crib. Older cribs may not meet the more stringent safety standards in place today. Worn-out pieces or missing hardware can pose serious problems for the integrity of the furniture. If you do opt for a used crib, check that it has not been recalled and do your own safety checks to ensure it does not use drop sides, that the distance between the slats are no larger than 2 ⅜” apart, and that corner posts are not higher than 1/16”.
What to Look for When Buying a Convertible Crib
As with all baby products, safety is the first thing to look for when purchasing a crib for your baby. For the safest sleep environment, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says parents should look for a crib with bars spaced no more than 2.37 inches apart with more than 26 inches of bar space above the crib mattress when it’s sitting at its highest point and free of any decorative carvings or cut-outs that could be hazardous to a curious baby.
Convertible cribs are very popular, but not all of them offer the same conversion options. Consider which conversions will work best for your family. If you plan to have young kids close together, then you may just need a crib with multiple mattress height options, or if this is your last child then a 4-in-1 may be ideal so that it’s the only bed you’ll need to buy for them.
While convertible cribs are convenient, they may cost you a little extra upfront, depending on the type or brand you choose, and any additional pieces that are needed. Typically, not all conversion kits are sold with a crib and must be purchased individually. Overall, a convertible crib may save you money over time, but you will have to pay extra for conversion kits that are sold separately.
Materials and Durability
Since your baby will inevitably start chewing on the crib’s railing, make sure you’re getting one made of materials that are free of toxins. Also, look for a crib with high-quality paint or stain that won’t chip over time so that you can get as much use out of the bed as possible.
Finally, the crib should be securely assembled without wiggling or making a lot of noise when your child moves around in it. It’s possible that your baby will climb out of their crib at some point, so you want the crib to be durable, strong, and one you can reuse if needed down the road.
Design and Functionality
In addition to conversion options, you also want to consider the crib’s overall design. If it’s made to grow with your child, is the design trendy or something timeless that will still look good a decade from now? Does the design work for your lifestyle and/or the room that it’s in? Do you want one with wheels so that you can move it around easily?
While the crib’s overall look is the most fun thing to consider, you also want to be sure its design meets all of your needs. If you have a small room to work with, you’ll want a crib that fits in the space without it being too big.
Cribs by Age
Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
Our Proposed Top 10 best bedside crib for small spaces Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- GROWS WITH BABY: Four adjustable mattress positions to lower as baby begins to sit and stand. From rolling bassinet to stationary mini crib, this product also easily folds and converts to a twin bed (twin-size conversion kit No.M5789 sold separately)
- SPACE EFFICIENT: A mini crib is a great alternative for smaller spaces or to store at grandparents' house. It's also a great alternative to a bassinet or pack n' play for co-sleeping with baby. Fold up your crib or move it around as you please.
- FOR YOUR BABY'S SAFETY: Say goodbye to toxic chemicals. Finished in a non-toxic multi-step painting process and lead and phthalate safe
- MATTRESS COMPATIBILITY: While this crib fits any standard size mini crib mattress, it best fits with DaVinci’s line of firm comfort, GREENGUARD gold, waterproof mini mattresses. Includes 1 Inch waterproof pad
- 6-in-1 Convertible Baby Bed: By adjusting the bed frame and casters, our baby crib can be easily converted into toddler bed, daybed, baby playard, bedside bassinet or rocking crib. Mom and dad can quickly open or lock the upper baffle through the buttons on both sides to better observe the baby.
- Washable & Soft Mattress: We equipped the crib with a natural soft palm mattress, which can help the baby's spine grow healthily. In addition, the outer cover of the mattress has a removable and washable design to simplify the cleaning process and prevent the growth of harmful substances.
- Large Storage Space & Smooth Edge: There is a large storage space between the two bed frames of the crib. By opening the door panel, you can store baby's toys, books, clothes or daily necessities inside, greatly improving the space utilization. In addition, the smooth edges can effectively prevent injuries to babies or parents.
- Premium & Safe Material: For the baby's health and safety, we have selected high-quality and non-toxic HDPE materials to make this multifunctional crib. And the thickened and reinforced bed board and stable structure enable it to withstand up to 55 lbs.
- Flexible Caster for Easy Movement: The 360°silent universal wheel not only helps you move the crib quietly and easily, but also protects the floor surface from being scratched. In addition, the detachable universal wheels can also help you easily convert the crib into a rocking crib.
- WORRY-FREE AIRPORT TRAVEL - Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light backpack carrying case. Set up is simple in 15 seconds and only weighs 13 lbs packed.
- CERTIFIED SAFE & NON-TOXIC - The only playard with GreenGuard Gold non-toxic certification (low voc & no lead, phthalates, pvc, heavy metals, etc). Full-height mesh guarantees best, breathable airflow.
- QUIET SIDE ZIPPER DOOR - Nurse or cuddle your little one to sleep, then just zip the lockable access door. Easier on your back, and when it’s time to play & crawl, more fun!
- COMFORTABLE MATTRESS - Perfect for sleep and play, our updated pad’s thick, soft foam is approved for newborns & infants for overnight sleep (0-3 years old)
- WHAT’S INCLUDED - You get a complete travel crib with the compact backpack carrying case. Two Year Warranty and great customer service. Sheets not included. Setup Crib Length: 42”, Width: 32”, Height: 25”. Folded (in Backpack) Length: 24”, Width: 7”, Height: 11”
- CONVERTIBILITY OPTIONS: Keep pace with your growing child’s changing needs with the Edgewood 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib. Starting as a mini crib, you can convert it into a mini daybed and twin-size bed (bed rails sold separately)
- COMPACT DESIGN: Built of solid pinewood, it boasts a lean and modern design. It occupies a small footprint, is ideal for co-sharing and making the most of small nurseries. Choose from 7 pleasant finishes & combine with varying patterns and textures
- MATTRESS MATTERS: The Edgewood has a 3-position adjustable mattress height setting and comes with the regulatory 1” mattress pad. Choose a Dream On Me non-toxic, Greenguard Gold certified mini or portable crib mattress for a perfect fit
- PRIORITIZING SAFETY: All our cribs are JPMA certified and are tested for lead and other toxic elements to meet or exceed government and ASTM safety standards
- PRODUCT SPECS: Product dimensions are 39Lx28Wx37H inches. The maximum weight limit is 50 lbs. All tools/assembly instructions included
- Safe and comfortable - This baby bassinet can be used as a baby cradle or bedside sleeper attached to adult bed, mesh of two-side makes baby feel breathable and comfortable
- Adjustable - 5 height positions(min15'',max21'') suit for most adults' beds
- Safe design - This bedside sleeper meets all safety regulations on the assembly of side and horizontal cradle with clear instructions
- Easy to install - no tools are needed during installation
- Suitable from Birth to 12-months.if you are the mother /father of the new baby,looking for a cribs,please choose nordmiex baby sleeper;if you are the uncle/aunt/grandfather/grandmother of the newborn baby,looking for a baby gift for boys or girls,our baby crib is a nice choice
- KEEPS BABY CLOSE: This timeless baby bassinet with solid wood base and legs keeps baby safely by your bedside | Neutral design is ideal for boys or girls | Made of sustainable New Zealand pine wood
- AIRFLOW MESH: Breathable mesh on sides promote airflow and cooler sleep environment for baby
- TONS OF STORAGE: Large storage shelf under the frame keeps baby’s necessities within reach
- SIZE: Assembled dimensions: 33”L x 20.5”W x 32“H | Bassinet includes 1-inch waterproof mattress pad and fitted bassinet sheet
- WE PUT YOUR BABY'S SAFETY FIRST: JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM | We know chemicals have no place in your nursery, so we use a non-toxic multi-step painting process that is lead and phthalate safe
- KEEP BABY SAFELY BY YOUR BED: A great alternative to bed sharing, this bedside sleeper keeps Baby close the slim base with wheels easily slides under your bed, sofa or chair making it a safe, separate space for your baby
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: 5 adjustable heights allow you to pick the height that works for your bed clear view | Mesh sides provide an unobstructed view of Baby and help with airflow
- AMPLE STROAGE: Large storage pockets on each end provide space for burp clothes, small toys or pacifiers
- EASY TO CLEAN: Washable fabric fitted sheet and 1-inch comfort mattress pad
- SIZE: Assembled dimensions: 31 L x 19.5 W x 41.5 H Inches | SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS: JPMA certified; meets or exceeds ASTM and applicable CPSC standards
- ANGELBLISS BABY CRIB - ANGELBLISS Baby Bassinet meet the United States safety regulations launched the new Crib Safety Standard , and baby crib passed ASTM and CPSC certification.
- Four-Sided Breathable Mesh Design: The ANGELBLISS open mesh four-sided design provides babies with their own private sleeping area and provides greater breathability and comfort. Expanded the field of vision that mom and dad can take care of the baby, making you safer to use.
- Adjustable Cradle for Bedside Use: Height adjustment to fit all beds,making it easier for you to care for your baby even in the middle of the night. Retractable feet allows the use with all beds that do not have space under bed or which have space under the bed frame.
- Easy and Tool-free Assembly:Disassemble and fold in under a few minutes,you only need to do is to push legs frames and pull up the handrails. From newborn to 6 months (3 -9kg/ 6-19.8 lb)
- Removable and Machine Washable Sheet and Side Fabric:With removable sheet,possible to take it out from the mattress and wash the cover in the washing machine. Detachable side fabric design,can be easily removed and cleaned,give baby a clean and comfortable space to rest.
- Crafted comfort: flat sleep surface and design pad insert make for a comfortable night at home or on the road. Mesh walls allow for breathability and visibility
- Compact design: in use measures 40.5" X 25.5" X 21.75". Folds down to 25.5" X 11" X 6.5" With convenient carry bag included for Easy travel and storage. Fits in the average checked luggage bag for easy transportation
- Versitile: perfect for playtime and naptime. Sits comfortably beside most beds. For children up to 18 lbs
- Easy clean: Designed with a sanitation in mind, simply hand wash and wipe down with a damp cloth and soap To keep it fresh and sanitary.
- Safe and secure: sturdy, all metal frame. Lock clamps legs into place for added security. Meets all safety standards set by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association and the American Society for testing and materials
- Electronic module features music, vibration and soft nightlight
- Rocking base sways back and forth with a gentle push (make sure retractable wheels are up to enable rocking feature)
- Includes 1" mattress pad with removable and machine washable mattress pad
- Requires four AA batteries (not included)
- JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by ASTM
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cribs with adjustable sides safe?
Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate’s functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap.
Can crib height be adjusted?
There are many reasons to adjust your crib mattress’s height and angle. It’s safe to raise or lower the mattress height — as long as you do it correctly. The important thing to remember is to follow the guidelines: keep your baby’s crib clear, and watch their development so you know when to lower their crib.
Are drop side cribs banned in US?
For these alarming reasons, in 2011 the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC) banned the production and sale of drop-side cribs, as well as implemented strict safety standards and more stringent testing requirements across the crib-manufacturing industry.
Are some cribs safer than others?
Here are a few specific things parents should look for in a safe crib: Crib slats or bars should be no wider than 2 3/8 inches apart. Some experts suggest gauging whether a soda can would fit through — if so, they’re dangerously far apart.
Can newborn sleep in crib?
Your baby can start sleeping in a crib from day one, but you may decide to use a bassinet for the first month or so.
You may want to buy your bedside crib for small spaces for a few months before your baby arrives to make sure that all the pieces are included in the box and they’re free of damage. Setting up your crib in advance also allows you to air it out if off-gassing or odor is a concern.
Plus, putting up the crib makes this whole baby thing a lot more real. After you’ve weighed all the many options and made a purchase, be sure to have some fun daydreaming about your little one snoozing in their new crib!