Your baby’s crib is basically the centerpiece of their beautiful nursery, so a lot of time goes into picking the right one. While finding a crib with the perfect aesthetic for your baby’s nursery is fun, you also want to consider its safety, functionality, and longevity, which is why convertible cribs are so ideal.
As far as safety goes, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the bars of your baby’s crib should be 2 3/8 inches apart to avoid the possibility of injury. While dropside cribs have been banned and taken off the market as per the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011, this crib style may still be circulating via secondhand sellers and should be avoided due to the suffocation and strangulation hazard.
Looking for a new crib for your baby? Here are the best bassinets crib alternatives for 2022.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
How much should I spend on a crib?
In a recent survey by the Good Housekeeping Institute, the majority of our respondents said that they would ideally spend less than $300 on a crib. While it is definitely possible to get a great, safe crib for under $300, many cribs worthy of consideration cost far more than this. You also have to consider delivery and installation fees (unless you are picking up and installing yourself), as well as the cost of a crib mattress.
That said, convertible cribs offer a great value because you can use the same piece of furniture for your child’s sleep environment as your child grows instead of requiring brand new pieces to be purchased.
How do I pick a safe crib?
The best crib is one that is safe and that meets your needs. The good news on the safety front is that all new cribs sold in the United States are required to meet stringent safety testing as set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as part of the federal regulations of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
The basis for the safety requirements are two ASTM International crib standards which incorporate factors like the distance between slats, the physical integrity of the slats, crib hardware requirements and revised safety testing protocols.
Be exceptionally wary of buying or using a hand-me-down crib. Older cribs may not meet the more stringent safety standards in place today. Worn-out pieces or missing hardware can pose serious problems for the integrity of the furniture. If you do opt for a used crib, check that it has not been recalled and do your own safety checks to ensure it does not use drop sides, that the distance between the slats are no larger than 2 ⅜” apart, and that corner posts are not higher than 1/16”.
What to Look for When Buying a Convertible Crib
As with all baby products, safety is the first thing to look for when purchasing a crib for your baby. For the safest sleep environment, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says parents should look for a crib with bars spaced no more than 2.37 inches apart with more than 26 inches of bar space above the crib mattress when it’s sitting at its highest point and free of any decorative carvings or cut-outs that could be hazardous to a curious baby.
Convertible cribs are very popular, but not all of them offer the same conversion options. Consider which conversions will work best for your family. If you plan to have young kids close together, then you may just need a crib with multiple mattress height options, or if this is your last child then a 4-in-1 may be ideal so that it’s the only bed you’ll need to buy for them.
While convertible cribs are convenient, they may cost you a little extra upfront, depending on the type or brand you choose, and any additional pieces that are needed. Typically, not all conversion kits are sold with a crib and must be purchased individually. Overall, a convertible crib may save you money over time, but you will have to pay extra for conversion kits that are sold separately.
Materials and Durability
Since your baby will inevitably start chewing on the crib’s railing, make sure you’re getting one made of materials that are free of toxins. Also, look for a crib with high-quality paint or stain that won’t chip over time so that you can get as much use out of the bed as possible.
Finally, the crib should be securely assembled without wiggling or making a lot of noise when your child moves around in it. It’s possible that your baby will climb out of their crib at some point, so you want the crib to be durable, strong, and one you can reuse if needed down the road.
Design and Functionality
In addition to conversion options, you also want to consider the crib’s overall design. If it’s made to grow with your child, is the design trendy or something timeless that will still look good a decade from now? Does the design work for your lifestyle and/or the room that it’s in? Do you want one with wheels so that you can move it around easily?
While the crib’s overall look is the most fun thing to consider, you also want to be sure its design meets all of your needs. If you have a small room to work with, you’ll want a crib that fits in the space without it being too big.
Cribs by Age
Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
Our Proposed Top 10 best bassinets crib alternatives Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- COOL COMFORT FOR NEWBORNS: Keeps precious little ones close by while giving them their own dedicated sleep space and surround them with multi-layer breathable mesh with A.C.T. air channel technology to maximize airflow for cool and comfortable slumber. Designed especially for babies from birth to 6 months to enable room sharing; discontinue use when infant begins to push up on hands and knees, can roll over, or has reached 18 lbs (8.1 kg).
- SPACIOUS YET COMPACT AND PORTABLE: At 22” x 37.5” x 17” (55.9 x 95.3 x 43.2 cm), there’s over 30% more sleep space inside for baby than a typical bassinet. With a floor footprint of only 27” x 39” x 27” (68.6 x 99.1 x 68.6 cm) and foldable, it can easily be moved around the house for nap time, stored when not in use, or taken on-the-go (P.S. it’s perfect for grandparents).
- NON-TOXIC AND ECO-FRIENDLY: Finished with non-toxic paint that’s free of lead, phthalates, and formaldehyde and Greenguard Gold certified to be free of over 10,000 chemicals and VOCs that are commonly known to pollute indoor air. And made from sustainable New Zealand pine and composite that’s compliant with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) mission to improve air quality.
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR SAFETY: Tested by a third party CPSC-accepted accredited lab to meet or exceed safety standards set by ASTM International and the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), including those of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA).
- INCLUDES 1” WATERPROOF MATTRESS: 18" x 36" (45.7 x 91.4 cm), fits standard size cradle sheets (sold separately).
- 2 modes of use for baby’s full first year: bassinet and crib alternative
- Adjustable bassinet matches the height of most beds
- Breathable mesh sides for airflow & keeping baby in sight
- Soothing sounds for lulling baby to sleep; soft light for nighttime check-ins
- 4 lockable wheels for moving room-to-room
- 🐘【Soft & Comfortable Material】100% pure cotton with pearl polyester fillers made the comfy breathable baby nest which adopts the American bionic concept to mimic the mother's warm uterus, providing your newborn with familiar comfort. The 1.6-inch soft thickened pad protects your baby's spine. All these advantages come together in our baby nest for unparalleled comfort for your baby.
- 🐘【Quick Clean & Full Detachable】The upgraded pad and bumper keep your little one away from the wet environment and rolling out of bed which can be wiped clean with a dry towel. The cover of our baby nest can be easily taken off by the hidden zipper and thrown into the washing machine for cleaning.
- 🐘【Portable Travel Needs & Multipurpose】The lightweight (only 3.5lbs) baby nest comes with two handles making our baby lounger ready on the go. It can be used under supervision for lounging, tummy time, a changing station, and more. It is an ideal travel need and a baby gift for newborns.
- 🐘【Being Adjustable & Reversible】Simply loosen the ribbon at the end of the bumper and open the bottom completely, the size can be adjusted to fit your baby's figure (from 0 to 9 months). The two different sides of the baby nest can be used as you want to enrich your baby's experience.
- 🐘【Worry-Free Purchase】All of our products are backed up with one-year after-sales support. We will work out the problem you met no matter how distances are and when the time is.
- 🌟【Double-Sided and Being Adjustable】The baby lounger cover has two sides pattern (One side is leaves pattern and the other side is solid gray) and you can switch between the two patterns inside and outside, giving you and your baby a good mood every day. Being adjustable - Simply loosen the cord at the end of the bumpers to make the size larger. The ends of the bumpers can be fully opened.
- 🌟【Portable Travel Needs】The size of the baby nest is about 31.5 x 19.6 inches and weighs only 3.5lbs（1.6kg）. The lightweight design and convenient handles make our in-bed bassinet a portable baby must-have. Package bag for easy transportation. It is an ideal travel need and a baby gift for moms and babies.
- 🌟【Perfect for co-sleeping】360 degree protective pad side guardrail design creates separate sleeping space for co-sleeping babies in the adult bed. Help your little one sleeps well better than ever before.
- 🌟【Machine Washable】There is a hidden zipper on the bottom of the baby nest, which can be used to disassemble the cushion and the lounger bumper in the fence for easy washing.
- 🌟【Best Service】Our team of professionals is constantly creating the best quality products for your family. We promise 45 days no reason refund and 12 months after-sale service. Click “BUY IT NOW” and ENJOY QUALITY OF OUR NEW INFANT LOUNGER!
- Safe, durable, lightweight travel pod for infants
- Breathable mesh panels, removable and locking steel frame provide comfort and security
- Folds flat for storage and weighs less than 3 lbs. for easy transport
- Assembled dimensions: 30” x 21.25” x 11.75”
- Discontinue use once infant begins to push up on hands and knees or has reached 15 lbs.
- 🐧 Peaceful co sleeping Time - A full size ADOVEL Pack 'n Play can turn into the bedside sleeper with the side zipper down for C-sectionas mothers take care of your babe even in the midnight instead of moving drastically. 3 adjustable height designed which meets safety standards
- 🐧 Spacious Entertainment Space - The Bottom Layer Can be Used as a Playard, available from baby to toddles (0-3 years old). Provide the closer space for mother-infant interaction
- 🐧 Handy Diaper Changer - Diaper Stacker help you change diapers and feeding no longer backache, you can fetch the diaper or the milk bottle from the side organizer for the temporarily need
- 🐧 Rhythmic Mobile with 3 Soft Toy - 3 soft dolls and cheerful songs can sooth your little one more to keep a peaceful mood and inspire children to play and learn
- 🐧 Good Choice to Vist Grandparents - Light structure for easy take in the journey, we send the travel bag coming with the package. You can set up and fold by only 4 simple steps. Please Make Sure to lock the fence before push down the bottom base to keep sturdy
- Easy to attach or remove from parents’ bed using the two fastening straps provided.
- 7 height positions to suit parents' bed. Easy-open side panel for bedside mode.
- Two-side mesh makes more breathable and cozy room.
- Stable bottom supported and comfortable mattress with sleeping board.
- Suitable from Birth to 5-months/33lbs or until baby can pull themselves into an upright position.
- Electronic module features music, vibration and soft nightlight
- Rocking base sways back and forth with a gentle push (make sure retractable wheels are up to enable rocking feature)
- Includes 1" mattress pad with removable and machine washable mattress pad
- Requires four AA batteries (not included)
- JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by ASTM
- Katz, Eliot (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 200 Pages - 12/11/2020 (Publication Date) - Ivory Tower Books (Publisher)
- Silky Softness and Coziness: Unlike jersey knit, sweater knit construction makes yarn softer and fluffier. Absorbs more moisture than other blanket
- Safe-to-use Lightweight Blanket: Each blanket weighs around 0.7 lb. Not too thick, not too thin, it is perfect for infant, newborn aging 0 to 6 months. No extra heavy pressure on their body. No risks of suffocation or overheating
- Portable Travel Size: Measuring 30 by 40 inches, this blanket is not only for baby, but also for camping or travelling in a car or airplane. Multi used as a stroller blanket, crib blanket, toddler blanket, bassinet blanket, pet blanket, nursing cover, car seat blanket or pack n play blanket
- Reversible Little Blanket: Each blanket features 2 sides of different patterns, designed and patented by TILLYOU. One of the most wanted baby shower gift for families or friends. People use it to swaddle or wrap baby in. Classic pattern's never out-of-date
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: TILLYOU is committed to serving the best for American families. We offer 30-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE and 1-YEAR-QUALITY-WARRANTY. If anything happens, contact us through e-mail. 24/7 Customer service stands by
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cribs with adjustable sides safe?
Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate’s functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap.
Can crib height be adjusted?
There are many reasons to adjust your crib mattress’s height and angle. It’s safe to raise or lower the mattress height — as long as you do it correctly. The important thing to remember is to follow the guidelines: keep your baby’s crib clear, and watch their development so you know when to lower their crib.
Are drop side cribs banned in US?
For these alarming reasons, in 2011 the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC) banned the production and sale of drop-side cribs, as well as implemented strict safety standards and more stringent testing requirements across the crib-manufacturing industry.
Are some cribs safer than others?
Here are a few specific things parents should look for in a safe crib: Crib slats or bars should be no wider than 2 3/8 inches apart. Some experts suggest gauging whether a soda can would fit through — if so, they’re dangerously far apart.
Can newborn sleep in crib?
Your baby can start sleeping in a crib from day one, but you may decide to use a bassinet for the first month or so.
You may want to buy your bassinets crib alternatives for a few months before your baby arrives to make sure that all the pieces are included in the box and they’re free of damage. Setting up your crib in advance also allows you to air it out if off-gassing or odor is a concern.
Plus, putting up the crib makes this whole baby thing a lot more real. After you’ve weighed all the many options and made a purchase, be sure to have some fun daydreaming about your little one snoozing in their new crib!