Your baby’s crib is basically the centerpiece of their beautiful nursery, so a lot of time goes into picking the right one. While finding a crib with the perfect aesthetic for your baby’s nursery is fun, you also want to consider its safety, functionality, and longevity, which is why convertible cribs are so ideal.
As far as safety goes, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the bars of your baby’s crib should be 2 3/8 inches apart to avoid the possibility of injury. While dropside cribs have been banned and taken off the market as per the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011, this crib style may still be circulating via secondhand sellers and should be avoided due to the suffocation and strangulation hazard.
Looking for a new crib for your baby? Here are the best baby travel crib for 2022.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
How much should I spend on a crib?
In a recent survey by the Good Housekeeping Institute, the majority of our respondents said that they would ideally spend less than $300 on a crib. While it is definitely possible to get a great, safe crib for under $300, many cribs worthy of consideration cost far more than this. You also have to consider delivery and installation fees (unless you are picking up and installing yourself), as well as the cost of a crib mattress.
That said, convertible cribs offer a great value because you can use the same piece of furniture for your child’s sleep environment as your child grows instead of requiring brand new pieces to be purchased.
How do I pick a safe crib?
The best crib is one that is safe and that meets your needs. The good news on the safety front is that all new cribs sold in the United States are required to meet stringent safety testing as set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as part of the federal regulations of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
The basis for the safety requirements are two ASTM International crib standards which incorporate factors like the distance between slats, the physical integrity of the slats, crib hardware requirements and revised safety testing protocols.
Be exceptionally wary of buying or using a hand-me-down crib. Older cribs may not meet the more stringent safety standards in place today. Worn-out pieces or missing hardware can pose serious problems for the integrity of the furniture. If you do opt for a used crib, check that it has not been recalled and do your own safety checks to ensure it does not use drop sides, that the distance between the slats are no larger than 2 ⅜” apart, and that corner posts are not higher than 1/16”.
What to Look for When Buying a Convertible Crib
As with all baby products, safety is the first thing to look for when purchasing a crib for your baby. For the safest sleep environment, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says parents should look for a crib with bars spaced no more than 2.37 inches apart with more than 26 inches of bar space above the crib mattress when it’s sitting at its highest point and free of any decorative carvings or cut-outs that could be hazardous to a curious baby.
Convertible cribs are very popular, but not all of them offer the same conversion options. Consider which conversions will work best for your family. If you plan to have young kids close together, then you may just need a crib with multiple mattress height options, or if this is your last child then a 4-in-1 may be ideal so that it’s the only bed you’ll need to buy for them.
While convertible cribs are convenient, they may cost you a little extra upfront, depending on the type or brand you choose, and any additional pieces that are needed. Typically, not all conversion kits are sold with a crib and must be purchased individually. Overall, a convertible crib may save you money over time, but you will have to pay extra for conversion kits that are sold separately.
Materials and Durability
Since your baby will inevitably start chewing on the crib’s railing, make sure you’re getting one made of materials that are free of toxins. Also, look for a crib with high-quality paint or stain that won’t chip over time so that you can get as much use out of the bed as possible.
Finally, the crib should be securely assembled without wiggling or making a lot of noise when your child moves around in it. It’s possible that your baby will climb out of their crib at some point, so you want the crib to be durable, strong, and one you can reuse if needed down the road.
Design and Functionality
In addition to conversion options, you also want to consider the crib’s overall design. If it’s made to grow with your child, is the design trendy or something timeless that will still look good a decade from now? Does the design work for your lifestyle and/or the room that it’s in? Do you want one with wheels so that you can move it around easily?
While the crib’s overall look is the most fun thing to consider, you also want to be sure its design meets all of your needs. If you have a small room to work with, you’ll want a crib that fits in the space without it being too big.
Cribs by Age
Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
Our Proposed Top 10 best baby travel crib Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- WORRY-FREE AIRPORT TRAVEL - Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light backpack carrying case. Set up is simple in 15 seconds and only weighs 13 lbs packed.
- CERTIFIED SAFE & NON-TOXIC - The only playard with GreenGuard Gold non-toxic certification (low voc & no lead, phthalates, pvc, heavy metals, etc). Full-height mesh guarantees best, breathable airflow.
- QUIET SIDE ZIPPER DOOR - Nurse or cuddle your little one to sleep, then just zip the lockable access door. Easier on your back, and when it’s time to play & crawl, more fun!
- COMFORTABLE MATTRESS - Perfect for sleep and play, our updated pad’s thick, soft foam is approved for newborns & infants for overnight sleep (0-3 years old)
- WHAT’S INCLUDED - You get a complete travel crib with the compact backpack carrying case. Two Year Warranty and great customer service. Sheets not included. Setup Crib Length: 42”, Width: 32”, Height: 25”. Folded (in Backpack) Length: 24”, Width: 7”, Height: 11”
- TRAVEL READY: The Travel Light sets up and folds down in minutes making it the ideal travel companion for infants and toddlers. It is perfect for vacationing. It folds up flat and can be stored in its durable carry bag.
- COMFORTABLE FOR BABY: The Travel Light Playard comes with a soft mattress, so your child can play easily in it. Explore the Dream on Me Range of Playard mattresses for the perfect fit. The Travel Light is available in 4 stylish finishes.
- BREATHABLE MESH: The Playard sides are made of soft, airy mesh fabric that allow your baby to breathe easily. The see-through fabric helps you keep an eye on your baby and allows your LO to look out.
- SAFETY FIRST: The Dream On Me Travel Light Playard scores high on safety and durability. It is made with a sturdy aluminium frame, has reinforced stitching, and a locking system for extra safety. The fabric and mesh are free from harmful allergenics.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Don’t worry about your child making a mess. The mesh walls and nylon bottom can be easily cleaned - simply wipe down with a damp cloth and soap and it is as good as new. Product dimensions are 40.5 x 27 x 26 inches, it weighs 10.5 pounds
- LIGHTWEIGHT & DURABLE -The net weight is only 12 lbs. Lightweight,Reliable and built for endurance, this Playpen is sturdy enough for baby sleeping and playing.
- CONVENIENT -Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light carry bag, Easy to assembly.
- Airy Design For Good Supervision -The sides of the travel crib are made from soft and airy mesh fabric. It lets you keep an eye on your baby and means your baby can look out.
- Side Zipper Door -You can nurse, cuddle or play with your little one comfortably through the side zipper door
- Mattress and Fitted sheet included -Its soft mattress makes the travel crib a comfy place for your baby to sleep at home or away. The fitted sheet is easy to remove and clean.
- Simple to set up and fold up
- Easy to take with you
- Soft and comfy mattress. Mattress is High-resilient PU foam
- Airy design for good supervision
- Removable and machine washable crib textiles
- One push open, one pull close
- Easy, one-handed set up and take down
- Great for travel or moving around the house
- Water-resistant playard mattress
- Streamlined, airy design provides clear views of your little one
- 【Most Comprehensive Baby Playard】– Featuring multi-function, the baby travel cot combines with bassinet bed, diaper table,cute toys and activity center. The diaper table helps parent easily change diapers without arduously bending their backs. Bassinet bed with a comfortable mattress delivers a soft touch for baby. After detaching these parts, the basic playpen used as an activity center allows baby to freely stand and play.
- 【Easy & Fast Assembly】– For utmost convenience, the baby travel cot does not require extensive setup and can be stored away or reassembled in mere minutes. Just snap the bassinet’s frame in place and the crib is ready for use. Easily collapsible as well, it takes just seconds to pack away or reassemble, without any stress or complicated steps.
- 【Folding & Detachable Design】– Both diaper table and bassinet bed can be easily removed from the baby playard. The baby travel cot is compact and doesn't take up much space. A carry bag is convenient for storage and transport,the travel cot fits in the trunk of a car and is perfect for travel.If you have limited living space, you are definitely going to fall in love with this amazing playard.
- 【Breathable & Visual Mesh】– The breathable mesh fabric ensures visibility, healthy air flow and guarantees a peaceful slumber for your baby.The portable travel cot is suitable for birth to 3 years of kids.Pamo Babe bassinet will accompany your child to grow up.
- 【Stable Construction & Safe Details】– 5-point supporting structure on the bottom comes with more steadiness. High quality metal pipe make the whole baby bed strong and durable, providing your baby with safe protection. Smooth rounded corners to prevent children from being hurt by collisions.Equipped with brakes, two moving wheels provide smooth movement while also improving overall stability and safety.
- 👶5 IN 1 PACK N PLAY BABY PLAYARD : ❤️Some Need to Notice When Assembly/disassembly : ROTATE THE CENTER KNOB 90° COUNTERCLOCKWISE.Keep the center structure standing up throughout the assembly process, as well as disassembling this crib.Our multifunctional baby crib has several modes to use: baby bedside sleeper, travel crib, baby cradle for 0-3 years old, and playpen for 0-6 years old, which can accompany your kids' growth.
- 👶SAFE BEDSIDE BASSINET:Co-sleeping position is available by adjusting lowering bars on both sides to 3 levels. Place the bassinet bed right up against to your bed and lock the wheels, then you can easily take care of or feed your baby. Safety Strap could keep your baby really close and your can take good care of them.
- 👶STABLE & SAFE SIDE BED: 7-point supporting structure on the bottom comes with more steadiness. And the sturdy frame is made of iron tubes, which supports up to 33 lbs. Equipped with brakes, two moving wheels provide smooth movement while also improving overall stability and safety. Four round corners avoids bumping and scratching. Mesh cloth also provides better visibility to observe baby.
- 👶TOOL - FREE FAST INSTALL : Quick and convenient installation. No additional tools and No wrench screwdriver are required. It can be easily installed in just 4 steps 3 minutes. Mommy can also build an exclusive space for her baby boy or girl. We also provide clear instructions for you, Nobody are confused with installations.
- 👶FOLDING & DETACHABLE DESIGN : Bassinet bed can be easily removed from the baby playard. And the basic playpen can be quickly folded within 4 steps. An Oxford bag(travel bag) is convenient for storage and transport, serving to offer a comfortable place for babies anywhere while you’re traveling and visiting.
- 【Friendly Material】 - Made of certificated high quality material, 100% non-toxic and eco-friendly, ensures baby safe and comfort.
- 【Anti UV】 - The special silver coated fabric around the full coverage to ensure the best Anti-UV Effect. The UV rating of 50+ (UPF 50+) - protect you and your family from the sun harmful rays.
- 【Wind-resistant & Ventilated】 - Comes with 2 durable tent pegs, you don’t need worry the baby tent getting blown away. Mesh design all around make sure your baby enjoy the comfortable breeze. Mosquito net will keep bugs far away.
- 【No Assembly Required】 - It pops up within 3 seconds. it’s also easy to fold back up. The frame is made from elasticity metal material which is able to withstand thousands of times bending.
- 【Humanized Size】 - The diameter of the this nursery travel bed after folded is 19.3 inch, The size after set up is 53 x 35 x 24 inch (L x W x H).
- 【Portable Travel Crib Design】 No need to assemble, our travel crib is ready to go out of the box. And you can quickly fold it in the carrying bag without any extra tools. The compact design and light weight allow you to put it in the trunk of your car and bring it to trains and planes as you travel.
- 【Multifunctional Pack and Play】Our foldable travel crib pack n play is spacious enough for babies from 0 to 3 years old. It can not only be a place for babies to sleep, but also a place for mothers and babies to play games together. And the mattress has a soft and thick sponge that makes your baby sleep more comfortable and is the best gift for your baby.
- 【Mesh Cloth Design & Zipper Door】Our travel crib is designed with full-height mesh cloth design for strong visibility, allowing you to see your baby, and baby to see you! And the soft and breathable mesh is good for air circulation and avoids sultry heat. With zipper door design, it can be easily opened to help baby get in and out more conveniently.
- 【Removable and Washable Mattress】The soft, flat but non-collapsing mattress is specially designed for babies to make them have a comfortable sleep and protect their delicate lumbar vertebrae. Due to the adjustable velcro and zipper, the mattress cover and all the crib fabric can be removed and washed to create a clean environment for your baby.
- 【Safe and Firm Structure】Made of high-quality aluminum tubes and iron tubes, the playard with ASTM certification is more solid and not easy to shake. The four corners of the bottom are evenly stressed to prevent the playard from tilting and enhance stability, so that your baby can play safely.
- Portable and Foldable Design: No need to assemble, our travel crib is ready to go out of the box. And you can quickly fold it in the carrying bag without any extra tools. The compact design and light weight allow you to put it in the trunk of your car and bring it to trains and planes as you travel.
- Multifunctional Playpen: Our foldable crib is spacious enough for babies from 0 to 3 years old. It can not only be a place for babies to sleep, but also a place for mothers and babies to play games together. And the mattress has a soft and thick sponge that makes your baby sleep more comfortable and is the best gift for your baby.
- Mesh Cloth Design & Zipper Door: Our travel crib is designed with full-height mesh cloth design for strong visibility, allowing you to see your baby, and baby to see you! And the soft and breathable mesh is good for air circulation and avoids sultry heat. With zipper door design, it can be easily opened to help baby get in and out more conveniently.
- Removable and Washable Mattress: The soft, flat but non-collapsing mattress is specially designed for babies to make them have a comfortable sleep and protect their delicate lumbar vertebrae. Due to the adjustable velcro and zipper, the mattress cover and all the crib fabric can be removed and washed to create a clean environment for your baby.
- Safe and Firm Structure: Made of high-quality aluminum tubes and iron tubes, the playard with ASTM certification is more solid and not easy to shake. The four corners of the bottom are evenly stressed to prevent the playard from tilting and enhance stability, so that your baby can play safely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cribs with adjustable sides safe?
Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate’s functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap.
Can crib height be adjusted?
There are many reasons to adjust your crib mattress’s height and angle. It’s safe to raise or lower the mattress height — as long as you do it correctly. The important thing to remember is to follow the guidelines: keep your baby’s crib clear, and watch their development so you know when to lower their crib.
Are drop side cribs banned in US?
For these alarming reasons, in 2011 the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC) banned the production and sale of drop-side cribs, as well as implemented strict safety standards and more stringent testing requirements across the crib-manufacturing industry.
Are some cribs safer than others?
Here are a few specific things parents should look for in a safe crib: Crib slats or bars should be no wider than 2 3/8 inches apart. Some experts suggest gauging whether a soda can would fit through — if so, they’re dangerously far apart.
Can newborn sleep in crib?
Your baby can start sleeping in a crib from day one, but you may decide to use a bassinet for the first month or so.
You may want to buy your baby travel crib for a few months before your baby arrives to make sure that all the pieces are included in the box and they’re free of damage. Setting up your crib in advance also allows you to air it out if off-gassing or odor is a concern.
Plus, putting up the crib makes this whole baby thing a lot more real. After you’ve weighed all the many options and made a purchase, be sure to have some fun daydreaming about your little one snoozing in their new crib!