Your baby’s crib is basically the centerpiece of their beautiful nursery, so a lot of time goes into picking the right one. While finding a crib with the perfect aesthetic for your baby’s nursery is fun, you also want to consider its safety, functionality, and longevity, which is why convertible cribs are so ideal.
As far as safety goes, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the bars of your baby’s crib should be 2 3/8 inches apart to avoid the possibility of injury. While dropside cribs have been banned and taken off the market as per the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011, this crib style may still be circulating via secondhand sellers and should be avoided due to the suffocation and strangulation hazard.
Looking for a new crib for your baby? Here are the best baby portable crib for 2022.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
How much should I spend on a crib?
In a recent survey by the Good Housekeeping Institute, the majority of our respondents said that they would ideally spend less than $300 on a crib. While it is definitely possible to get a great, safe crib for under $300, many cribs worthy of consideration cost far more than this. You also have to consider delivery and installation fees (unless you are picking up and installing yourself), as well as the cost of a crib mattress.
That said, convertible cribs offer a great value because you can use the same piece of furniture for your child’s sleep environment as your child grows instead of requiring brand new pieces to be purchased.
How do I pick a safe crib?
The best crib is one that is safe and that meets your needs. The good news on the safety front is that all new cribs sold in the United States are required to meet stringent safety testing as set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as part of the federal regulations of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
The basis for the safety requirements are two ASTM International crib standards which incorporate factors like the distance between slats, the physical integrity of the slats, crib hardware requirements and revised safety testing protocols.
Be exceptionally wary of buying or using a hand-me-down crib. Older cribs may not meet the more stringent safety standards in place today. Worn-out pieces or missing hardware can pose serious problems for the integrity of the furniture. If you do opt for a used crib, check that it has not been recalled and do your own safety checks to ensure it does not use drop sides, that the distance between the slats are no larger than 2 ⅜” apart, and that corner posts are not higher than 1/16”.
What to Look for When Buying a Convertible Crib
As with all baby products, safety is the first thing to look for when purchasing a crib for your baby. For the safest sleep environment, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says parents should look for a crib with bars spaced no more than 2.37 inches apart with more than 26 inches of bar space above the crib mattress when it’s sitting at its highest point and free of any decorative carvings or cut-outs that could be hazardous to a curious baby.
Convertible cribs are very popular, but not all of them offer the same conversion options. Consider which conversions will work best for your family. If you plan to have young kids close together, then you may just need a crib with multiple mattress height options, or if this is your last child then a 4-in-1 may be ideal so that it’s the only bed you’ll need to buy for them.
While convertible cribs are convenient, they may cost you a little extra upfront, depending on the type or brand you choose, and any additional pieces that are needed. Typically, not all conversion kits are sold with a crib and must be purchased individually. Overall, a convertible crib may save you money over time, but you will have to pay extra for conversion kits that are sold separately.
Materials and Durability
Since your baby will inevitably start chewing on the crib’s railing, make sure you’re getting one made of materials that are free of toxins. Also, look for a crib with high-quality paint or stain that won’t chip over time so that you can get as much use out of the bed as possible.
Finally, the crib should be securely assembled without wiggling or making a lot of noise when your child moves around in it. It’s possible that your baby will climb out of their crib at some point, so you want the crib to be durable, strong, and one you can reuse if needed down the road.
Design and Functionality
In addition to conversion options, you also want to consider the crib’s overall design. If it’s made to grow with your child, is the design trendy or something timeless that will still look good a decade from now? Does the design work for your lifestyle and/or the room that it’s in? Do you want one with wheels so that you can move it around easily?
While the crib’s overall look is the most fun thing to consider, you also want to be sure its design meets all of your needs. If you have a small room to work with, you’ll want a crib that fits in the space without it being too big.
Cribs by Age
Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
Our Proposed Top 10 best baby portable crib Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- AWARD WINNING FEATURES: A full-size playard, the Nest is spacious, safe and loaded with convenient features. It’s portable, stylish, stores compactly and ideal for play. Little wonder then that it was a winner at the 2020 National Parenting Product Awards
- MOBILE AND STURDY: Its lightweight aluminum frame allows easy mobility. Set-up is easy and takes seconds, thanks to a quick fold mechanism and no tool assembly. It folds and stores compactly in the tote bag provided making it the ideal travel accessory
- BREATHABLE MESH: The Nest Playard is made of soft and safe polyester foam fabric. Its four airy mesh sides allow easy ventilation and allow 360° visibility for your child, making your child feel secure and allowing you to keep an eye on LO as well
- PRIORITIZING SAFETY, ALWAYS: The Nest Playard meets all applicable CPSC/ASTM standards. It’s intended for children under 36″ inches in height (or when a child is able to climb out). It comes with a folding mattress pad for your baby to play or nap on
- STYLISH DESIGN: The Nest boasts a modern, clean design. It is available in beautiful finishes that complement any room décor. Product dimensions are 40L x 28W x 27.5H inches; it weighs 16.85 pounds. To clean, simply wipe with a damp cloth and allow to air dry.
- Portable Dome Bassinet can be used on or off the playard, so you can keep baby by your side wherever you go
- The Travel Dome folds compactly and includes its own carry bag so it’s easy and convenient to take on the go.Care & Cleaning: Spot or Wipe Clean, Machine Wash
- Portable, raised bassinet positions baby at your eye level for check-ins through the night without having to get out of bed
- Large canopy on bassinet features UV 50 protection to shield baby from the sun and keep cool
- Full-size infant bassinet provides an easy-to-reach and easy-to-view spot for your baby to sleep
- 【MULTI-PURPOSE CRIB】--The design of the changing table allows the mother to easily change diapers, and the comfortable bassinet provides a place for the baby to rest. The storage bag will provide you everything when you’re ready to change diaper for your baby.
- 【CONVENIENT & DURABLE NURSERY CENTER】--There are two wheels with brakes at the bottom of the baby playard so that it can move flexibly. This nursery center is composed of strong frame and thick fabric so that it can hold the baby weights up to 33lbs.
- 【DETACHABLE & FOLDABLE DESIGN】--The changing table, storage bag, bassinet and canopy can be easily removed from the baby playard. And the playard can be quickly folded up without extra tools. The handbag helps you store the folded crib and take the crib out for travel.
- 【DETACHABLE CANOPY with 2 TOYS】-- The detachable canopy can protect your child's eyes from strong light. The two hanging toys can attract the baby's attention, not only promoting the baby's visual development but also improving the grasping ability.
- 【EASY TO ASSEMBLE】Easy to put the playard together without any tools. The mesh design provides a better visibility for parents to observe the baby at any time. The wide space allows the baby to practice standing and playing after removing the bassinet.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & DURABLE -The net weight is only 12 lbs. Lightweight,Reliable and built for endurance, this Playpen is sturdy enough for baby sleeping and playing.
- CONVENIENT -Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light carry bag, Easy to assembly.
- Airy Design For Good Supervision -The sides of the travel crib are made from soft and airy mesh fabric. It lets you keep an eye on your baby and means your baby can look out.
- Side Zipper Door -You can nurse, cuddle or play with your little one comfortably through the side zipper door
- Mattress and Fitted sheet included -Its soft mattress makes the travel crib a comfy place for your baby to sleep at home or away. The fitted sheet is easy to remove and clean.
- WORRY-FREE AIRPORT TRAVEL - Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light backpack carrying case. Set up is simple in 15 seconds and only weighs 13 lbs packed.
- CERTIFIED SAFE & NON-TOXIC - The only playard with GreenGuard Gold non-toxic certification (low voc & no lead, phthalates, pvc, heavy metals, etc). Full-height mesh guarantees best, breathable airflow.
- QUIET SIDE ZIPPER DOOR - Nurse or cuddle your little one to sleep, then just zip the lockable access door. Easier on your back, and when it’s time to play & crawl, more fun!
- COMFORTABLE MATTRESS - Perfect for sleep and play, our updated pad’s thick, soft foam is approved for newborns & infants for overnight sleep (0-3 years old)
- WHAT’S INCLUDED - You get a complete travel crib with the compact backpack carrying case. Two Year Warranty and great customer service. Sheets not included. Setup Crib Length: 42”, Width: 32”, Height: 25”. Folded (in Backpack) Length: 24”, Width: 7”, Height: 11”
- 【Most Comprehensive Baby Playard】– Featuring multi-function, the baby travel cot combines with bassinet bed, diaper table,cute toys and activity center. The diaper table helps parent easily change diapers without arduously bending their backs. Bassinet bed with a comfortable mattress delivers a soft touch for baby. After detaching these parts, the basic playpen used as an activity center allows baby to freely stand and play.
- 【Easy & Fast Assembly】– For utmost convenience, the baby travel cot does not require extensive setup and can be stored away or reassembled in mere minutes. Just snap the bassinet’s frame in place and the crib is ready for use. Easily collapsible as well, it takes just seconds to pack away or reassemble, without any stress or complicated steps.
- 【Folding & Detachable Design】– Both diaper table and bassinet bed can be easily removed from the baby playard. The baby travel cot is compact and doesn't take up much space. A carry bag is convenient for storage and transport,the travel cot fits in the trunk of a car and is perfect for travel.If you have limited living space, you are definitely going to fall in love with this amazing playard.
- 【Breathable & Visual Mesh】– The breathable mesh fabric ensures visibility, healthy air flow and guarantees a peaceful slumber for your baby.The portable travel cot is suitable for birth to 3 years of kids.Pamo Babe bassinet will accompany your child to grow up.
- 【Stable Construction & Safe Details】– 5-point supporting structure on the bottom comes with more steadiness. High quality metal pipe make the whole baby bed strong and durable, providing your baby with safe protection. Smooth rounded corners to prevent children from being hurt by collisions.Equipped with brakes, two moving wheels provide smooth movement while also improving overall stability and safety.
- 【Sturdy and durable, safe to use】Stronger structure, thicker fabric, safer and more flexible to use. Breathable mesh fabric ensures visibility, healthy air circulation and keeps your baby asleep. The portable travel playard is suitable for children from birth to 3 years old. The Pamo Babe Cradle will accompany your child as they grow.
- 【Easy to Assemble】Very easy to assemble, the baby travel cot doesn't require a lot of setup and can be stored or reassembled in minutes. Just snap the bassinet's frame into place and the cot is ready to use. It's also easy to fold and pack or reassemble in seconds without any stress or complicated steps.
- 【Multifunctional Play Area】Baby play area with detachable bassinet, soft sleeping nest, wipe-clean changing table and sturdy diaper organizer, 5 in 1 practical crib. A fully functional crib that you will love.
- 【Foldable and easy to move】The baby playground is designed with 2 wheels with brakes. Raise the side without wheels and you can easily move the playbed. This playpen is foldable, you can fold it in a tote bag when not in use, saving space!
- 【Quality Assurance】Pamo Babe will serve you wholeheartedly, if there is any problem with the folding crib, please send an email to contact us directly, we have professional customer service to help you solve all problems until you are satisfied.
- 🐧 Peaceful co sleeping Time - A full size ADOVEL Pack 'n Play can turn into the bedside sleeper with the side zipper down for C-sectionas mothers take care of your babe even in the midnight instead of moving drastically. 3 adjustable height designed which meets safety standards
- 🐧 Spacious Entertainment Space - The Bottom Layer Can be Used as a Playard, available from baby to toddles (0-3 years old). Provide the closer space for mother-infant interaction
- 🐧 Handy Diaper Changer - Diaper Stacker help you change diapers and feeding no longer backache, you can fetch the diaper or the milk bottle from the side organizer for the temporarily need
- 🐧 Rhythmic Mobile with 3 Soft Toy - 3 soft dolls and cheerful songs can sooth your little one more to keep a peaceful mood and inspire children to play and learn
- 🐧 Good Choice to Vist Grandparents - Light structure for easy take in the journey, we send the travel bag coming with the package. You can set up and fold by only 4 simple steps. Please Make Sure to lock the fence before push down the bottom base to keep sturdy
- Portable Crib, US Patented rail system. PATENT No 6817046 / 8479328 B2.
- Safety and heavy duty, locking, commercial size wheels. Baby weight limit - 35 lbs
- All tools for easy assembly included
- Stationary (non drop side) rail design, made of solid Pine.
- USEFUL CONVERTIBILITY: Perfect for today’s millennial parents with its multi-functionality. Crib assembly is quick and the U.S. patented rail design easily converts crib to a changing station or playpen in seconds
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE: The perfect space-saver with a one-hand fold for flat, compact storage. Lightweight frame with wheels makes it easy for you to move it around the house or, while travelling.Never suspend strings over product or attach string to toys
- SAFETY MATTERS: The stationary (non drop side) rail system and dual hooded safety wheels with locking casters provides the utmost in product safety. It meets applicable CPSC and ASTM standards
- CLEAN DESIGN: Comes with a solid birchwood frame. Clean, minimalist design makes it an ideal addition to any nursery. Choose from six beautiful finishes. One inch crib mattress and tools for easy assembly included
- PRODUCT SPECS: Crib dimensions are 41L x 26W x 40H. Maximum weight limit is 35 lbs. Comes with a three-position mattress support
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cribs with adjustable sides safe?
Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate’s functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap.
Can crib height be adjusted?
There are many reasons to adjust your crib mattress’s height and angle. It’s safe to raise or lower the mattress height — as long as you do it correctly. The important thing to remember is to follow the guidelines: keep your baby’s crib clear, and watch their development so you know when to lower their crib.
Are drop side cribs banned in US?
For these alarming reasons, in 2011 the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC) banned the production and sale of drop-side cribs, as well as implemented strict safety standards and more stringent testing requirements across the crib-manufacturing industry.
Are some cribs safer than others?
Here are a few specific things parents should look for in a safe crib: Crib slats or bars should be no wider than 2 3/8 inches apart. Some experts suggest gauging whether a soda can would fit through — if so, they’re dangerously far apart.
Can newborn sleep in crib?
Your baby can start sleeping in a crib from day one, but you may decide to use a bassinet for the first month or so.
You may want to buy your baby portable crib for a few months before your baby arrives to make sure that all the pieces are included in the box and they’re free of damage. Setting up your crib in advance also allows you to air it out if off-gassing or odor is a concern.
Plus, putting up the crib makes this whole baby thing a lot more real. After you’ve weighed all the many options and made a purchase, be sure to have some fun daydreaming about your little one snoozing in their new crib!