Your chill, cuddly baby is about to turn into a turbo explorer who finds their way into the most dangerous places in your home. This phenomenon seemingly happens overnight, so when it does, you’ll be happy you installed a baby gate.
Baby gates are essential when it comes to keeping your child safe. Whether you need to block stairs or a room, gates ensure your little one will not be able to go into an unsafe area. In addition to babyproofing, gates can also double as safety tools for pets. Of course, you’ll want to make the sure the gate you choose is sturdy and functions as promised.
Looking to start baby-proofing your home? We researched more than 20 baby gates before buying the best baby gates for stairs australia available today for extensive side-by-side testing in real homes. We tested each gate for stability, ease of use, and ease of installation. We included a variety of gate styles and types with different mounting methods and sizes using them across hallways, rooms, doorways, and other openings to bring you the details you need to find the best gate for your mobile baby.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
Do You Need a Baby Gate?
Unless you live in a one-story home and you’ve baby proofed every room from ceiling to floor then yes, you’ll probably need a baby gate. Most babies start to scoot and crawl around seven months old.
Tiny fingers love to tamper with cupboards, open every drawer they get their hands on and even taste test the dog food — so you’ll want to make sure your living space is childproofed well before all of that unfolds. And don’t even get us started on stairs…
Types of baby gates
There are two main types of baby gates:
Hardware-mounted gates: Both sides of the gates need to be screwed into your walls, which makes these the only safe pick for the top of the stairs.
Pressure-mounted gates: These are like tension rods. Because you don’t need to screw them in, you can take them with you when you visit Grandma and Grandpa or go on vacation.
Each of these two main types of baby gates are available in a few different styles:
How we made our picks for the baby gates for stairs australia
We started by hunting down the most popular baby gates on the market that meet the above-mentioned safety criteria, including What to Expect readers’ favorites, and narrowed down our picks to the ones with the best ratings and reviews. Then we selected gates with important features that are designed to both protect your baby and make your life a little easier.
Measure the space where you are going to use the baby gate. Whether it is the opening at the top of the staircase or the doorway leading into the kitchen, you’ll want to make sure that the gate is wide and tall enough to safely fit into the space.
Baby gates are available in various materials, depending on where you will be using them and their purpose. For older toddlers who can easily topple over a gate that is made of flimsy plastic, you’ll want to consider a more weighted option that will stay in place. On the other hand, an easy to clean and lightweight plastic option might be better for outdoor use or travel.
The method of installation for a baby gate matters, both for ease of use and for safety. Pressure-mounted gates are simple to put in place, but they are not suitable for use at the top of a staircase, since they could get knocked out of place and allow a little one to fall down the stairs.
Ease of Use
Ease of use testing includes how easy the gate is to go through it, unlatching it, locking it open/closed, or opening it. Some of the latches can be operated one-handed, and others cannot. Some have narrow gates that are challenging to pass through, while others have gate openings wide enough for dads carrying toddlers to pass with ease.
Ease of Installation
How easy a gate is to install varies from gate to gate and seems to be a primary reason parents return gates to retailers. While none of the gates are impossible to install, and many manufacturers offer videos to help users, some still require a little patience or tools to finalize the installation. The gates are either pressure mounted or hard mounted using screws that come with the gate, and the Magic Mesh uses stick-in-place hooks. Pressure mounting can cause damage to paint and walls over time, but hard mounting puts permanent holes in the wall.
Our Proposed Top 10 best baby gates for stairs australia Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- EXTRA WIDE: Expands to fit openings between 29-34 and 35-38.5 inches wide. Stands 30 inches tall. Please be sure measure your opening prior to purchase to ensure proper fit. Note: This gate will not fit an opening between 34-35 inch.
- EASY TO USE AND SET UP: Pressure mount design that is quick to set up. Please note, before installation there will be a gap between the gate latch and the frame which is not a defect and it is not bent. This gap will be eliminated once installed.
- ADJUSTABLE: Includes a 6-inch wide extension kit and 4 pressure mount spindle rods. Perfect for doorway, hallway and bottom of stair use. Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage. Additional extensions sold separately.Wipes clean.Do not use abrasive cleaners or bleach
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Certified to both JPMA and ASTM standards. NOTE:The gap between the gate and wall should not exceed more than 2.5 inches
- SAFETY: Includes multiple safety-lock features, four wall cups for added security and mounting hardware. Please note, gate frame is design to be assembled at all times. Perfect for children 6-24 months. Great for pets too.
- CUSTOMIZABLE WIDTH – This safety gate adjusts to fit doorways and openings between 28 and 42 inches wide and is 24 inches high
- SECURE AND STURDY – Gate features a durable bamboo frame and recycled plastic panels. It also includes non-marring bumpers to protect your woodwork from unwanted dings and scratches
- EASY TO INSTALL – This pressure-mounted gate requires no hardware or tools to install and sets up easily in doorways and other pass through areas. Assembly not required
- GREAT FOR BABIES OR PETS – Easily create a baby and/or pet friendly area within your home with this gate. It’s great for use at the bottom of stairs, in hallways and in doorways
- Subtle and see-through mesh design
- EXTRA TALL AND WIDE: Expands to stairways and openings between 24-40.5 inches wide. Stands 38 inches tall
- 2-IN-1: Perfect top or bottom of stair use, doorways and hallways
- ADJUSTABLE: Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage. Wipes clean.Do not use abrasive cleaners or bleach
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Hardware mounted for added security
- SAFETY: Includes safety-lock feature. Perfect for children 6-36 months
- EXTRA WIDE: Expands to stairways and openings between 24-40.5 inches wide. Stands 28.75 inches tall
- 2-IN-1: Perfect top or bottom of stair use, doorways and hallways.Wipes clean
- ADJUSTABLE: Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage.
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Hardware mounted kit included for security.
- SAFETY: Includes safety-lock feature. Perfect for children 6-24 months. Great for PETS TOO
- SUPERWIDE: Fits opens up to 192 inches wide and stands 28 inches tall
- 2-IN-1: Can convert from a super-wide gate to an 8-panel play yard. No tools require, quick and easy. Includes 4 pack of wall mounts
- CONFIGURABLE: Each panel can be adjusted to fit almost any opening. Great for wide spaces, angled openings, hallway, doorway, bottom of stairs or barrier. Folds flat for storage.Wipes clean
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door
- SAFETY: Designed with a walk-through door with safety locking feature. Wall mounted for added security and protection. Meets all current safety standards. For children up to 24 months and great for pets too
- Durable wood frame
- Non-marring bumpers protect woodwork and walls
- No drilling or tools necessary
- For use at bottom of stairs, hallways, and doorways
- The gate expands from 28 to 42 inches which allows you to quickly adjust for openings of different widths.
- Simple to Install: The Pressure Mount Gate Allows Quick and Easy Installation and Re-Installation
- Neutral Styling: The warm wood and black mesh accents fit seemlessly into the farmhouse look, making this gate part of your home décor
- Versatile: With an Extension From 26-42 Inches. This Gate Will Fit in Most Doorways Quickly and Easily
- Making Safety Easy: The Locking Bar is Marked and Notched for Easy Installation While the Sturdy Wood Frame and Plastic Mesh are Durable and Secure
- Child - Age: 6-24 months
- KEEPING TODDLERS SAFE SINCE 1953: Worry-Free Safety! The Extra-Wide Wire Mesh Gate is specially designed for wide openings. This baby gate will adjust to fit openings 29.5" to 50" wide and is an extra-tall 32" high
- AMAZING VALUE, EASY TO INSTALL: The safety gate pressure mounts easily and securely without the use of hardware. Simply position and lock in place
- STYLISH AND DEPENDABLE: Sturdy hardwood frame surrounds rigid vinyl-coated wire mesh panels. A child gate with a traditional look and all the durability you need
- EASY ON WALLS: Walls will remain damage free with No-Mar rubber bumpers that keep the safety gate in place without marking walls
- BABY SAFE: Save for babies ages 6-24 months. Proudly assembled in USA with American Hardwood
- Indoor, Outdoor Versatility: Exclusive reversible legs have outdoor stakes for lawn stability and anti-movement, non-scratch floor pads for any interior floor surfaces
- Spacious: Over 18.5 square feet and 28” tall provides a safe space for the child to play
- Easy and Quick Assembly: No tools required
- Unique Hinge Design: Each panel can be a door access
- Usage information: For use with children 6 to 24 months. Important: Never use with a child that is able to climb over, dislodge, or open the enclosure. Carefully read all instructions and warnings on the product, product labels, and instruction manuals before use.Installation Method: Hinge Connectors Locations for Use: Indoor and Outdoor enclosure. This enclosure should not be used as a Barrier
- Customizable width – This safety gate adjusts to fit doorways and openings between 29 and 38 inches wide and is 28 inches high
- Keep it secure – All pressure-mounted gates need to be occasionally tightened, but this safety gate lets you know when. If the easy-read indicator turns red, it’s time to re-adjust
- Simple one hand release – Adults can easily open using one hand, while the two-action handle remains tough for little fingers to release and open
- Easy to install – This pressure-mounted gate sets up easily in doorways and other pass through areas. Wall cups must be installed to keep gate in place
- Automatic closing door: A magnetic Latch ensures the door swings closed and locks automatically, without any effort from a parent. Refer to the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for Manual
What is an alternative to a baby gate?
The Stair Barrier is going to be the next BIG thing. This stylish alternative to baby gates offers an effective way to protect children and pets from stair mishaps.
At what age do you stop using baby gates?
Install gates in homes with children between 6 months and 2 years of age. If possible, remove the gates when the child turns 2, or when the child has learned to open the gate or climb over it
Do you need baby gate at bottom of stairs?
Gates are particularly important if you have stairs in your house. In children under 2, falls from stairs are a leading cause of emergency department visits. It’s ideal to install safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs, but the top is the most critical spot.
How do I keep my toddler from climbing over the gate?
First things first. As soon as you bring the baby gate home and install it you will have to teach your child politely on his/her level that the gate is not meant to be climbed and he needs to be away from it at all times. Be very clear and humble so that your child listens to you carefully and understands you.
Do 3 year olds need gates?
But how do you know when it is safe to take down baby gates? A very vague rule of thumb is that kids up to the age of two years need extra protection. Another rule of thumb is that once the child’s chin is at the same level as the top of the gate the gate should be removed.
At what age can baby climb stairs?
Your baby will likely begin attempting to climb up stairs on all fours once they can crawl, around 9 months. The stairs are a tempting activity for babies who are realizing they can move around on their own.
Selecting the best baby gate is traditionally a must-do gear item for home baby-proofing once your baby is on the move and beginning to explore. Whether you have concerns about your child taking a tumble down the stairs or preventing the exploration of utensils and cleansers, it is often easier to block access to a specific area instead of locking cabinets or potential danger zones.