Your chill, cuddly baby is about to turn into a turbo explorer who finds their way into the most dangerous places in your home. This phenomenon seemingly happens overnight, so when it does, you’ll be happy you installed a baby gate.
Baby gates are essential when it comes to keeping your child safe. Whether you need to block stairs or a room, gates ensure your little one will not be able to go into an unsafe area. In addition to babyproofing, gates can also double as safety tools for pets. Of course, you’ll want to make the sure the gate you choose is sturdy and functions as promised.
Looking to start baby-proofing your home? We researched more than 20 baby gates before buying the best baby gates for stairs with banisters available today for extensive side-by-side testing in real homes. We tested each gate for stability, ease of use, and ease of installation. We included a variety of gate styles and types with different mounting methods and sizes using them across hallways, rooms, doorways, and other openings to bring you the details you need to find the best gate for your mobile baby.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
Do You Need a Baby Gate?
Unless you live in a one-story home and you’ve baby proofed every room from ceiling to floor then yes, you’ll probably need a baby gate. Most babies start to scoot and crawl around seven months old.
Tiny fingers love to tamper with cupboards, open every drawer they get their hands on and even taste test the dog food — so you’ll want to make sure your living space is childproofed well before all of that unfolds. And don’t even get us started on stairs…
Types of baby gates
There are two main types of baby gates:
Hardware-mounted gates: Both sides of the gates need to be screwed into your walls, which makes these the only safe pick for the top of the stairs.
Pressure-mounted gates: These are like tension rods. Because you don’t need to screw them in, you can take them with you when you visit Grandma and Grandpa or go on vacation.
Each of these two main types of baby gates are available in a few different styles:
How we made our picks for the baby gates for stairs with banisters
We started by hunting down the most popular baby gates on the market that meet the above-mentioned safety criteria, including What to Expect readers’ favorites, and narrowed down our picks to the ones with the best ratings and reviews. Then we selected gates with important features that are designed to both protect your baby and make your life a little easier.
Measure the space where you are going to use the baby gate. Whether it is the opening at the top of the staircase or the doorway leading into the kitchen, you’ll want to make sure that the gate is wide and tall enough to safely fit into the space.
Baby gates are available in various materials, depending on where you will be using them and their purpose. For older toddlers who can easily topple over a gate that is made of flimsy plastic, you’ll want to consider a more weighted option that will stay in place. On the other hand, an easy to clean and lightweight plastic option might be better for outdoor use or travel.
The method of installation for a baby gate matters, both for ease of use and for safety. Pressure-mounted gates are simple to put in place, but they are not suitable for use at the top of a staircase, since they could get knocked out of place and allow a little one to fall down the stairs.
Ease of Use
Ease of use testing includes how easy the gate is to go through it, unlatching it, locking it open/closed, or opening it. Some of the latches can be operated one-handed, and others cannot. Some have narrow gates that are challenging to pass through, while others have gate openings wide enough for dads carrying toddlers to pass with ease.
Ease of Installation
How easy a gate is to install varies from gate to gate and seems to be a primary reason parents return gates to retailers. While none of the gates are impossible to install, and many manufacturers offer videos to help users, some still require a little patience or tools to finalize the installation. The gates are either pressure mounted or hard mounted using screws that come with the gate, and the Magic Mesh uses stick-in-place hooks. Pressure mounting can cause damage to paint and walls over time, but hard mounting puts permanent holes in the wall.
Our Proposed Top 10 best baby gates for stairs with banisters Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- DESIGNED FOR STAIRWAYS AND BANISTERS – The Summer Metal Banister and Stair Safety Gate for baby is specifically designed for stairways and bannisters; The 32.5” tall baby gate fits openings up 31” to 46” wide
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easily install this baby gate on stairways and banisters with the unique mounting system; Securely fasten this gate banister-to-banister or banister-to-wall; No drilling required when installing to banister
- EXTRA-WIDE DOOR: The extra-wide door opens the full width of your stairway, making it easy to walk through; Plus, the no threshold design minimizes tripping, making this Metal Banister & Stair Safety Gate the perfect solution for your stairway
- SAFE AND SECURE: Have peace of mind knowing your baby or pet can explore safely with this high-quality baby gate from Summer; Plus, the support foot adds stability and the directional door stop adds extra safety over the stairs
- STYLISH BABY GATE: This decorative baby gate is made with a white metal finish, so you can child proof your home in style; Standing 32.5” tall, it is ideal for use with toddlers and pets
- EXTRA WIDE: Expands to stairways and openings between 29-43 inches wide. Stands 30.5 inches tall. Wall mounted gate.
- VALUE BUNDLE: Includes gate, mounted level poles, banister corner protectors (16), square banister adapters (4), plastic wall spacers (6), round banister adapters (1), and wall mounting hardware
- ADJUSTABLE: Perfect for doorway, hallway and top or bottom of stair use. Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage.Wipes clean
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Please see PDF user guide for set up assistance.No Assembly Required
- SAFETY: Designed with safety-lock, meets all safety standard. Hardware mounted added security. Perfect for children 6-24 months. Great for pets too.
- ACCOMODATES MOST OPENINGS – The Summer Banister and Stair, Top of Stairs Baby Gate with dual installation kit can be used between doorways, and stairways. The 33" tall baby gate fits openings up 32" to 48" wide.
- EASY INSTALLATION: With the dual installation kit, this baby gate accommodates banister-to-banister installation, single banister installation at the top or bottom of stairs, as well as installation in doorways. No drilling required on square banisters.
- ULTIMATE CONVENIENCE: The quick release mechanism allows for easy removal and re-installation, so you can continue to easily use this baby gate whenever, or wherever, you need to.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Have peace of mind knowing your baby or pet can explore safely with this ultra-versatile Banister & Stair Baby Gate with Dual Installation Kit from Summer.
- STYLISH BABY GATE: This decorative baby gate is made out of wood with a honey oak finish, so you can child proof your home in style. Standing 33" tall, it is ideal for use with toddlers and small pets..The banister installation kit accommodates square banisters up to 3.5" wide.
- A universal and flexible solution for baby gate installation on banisters and spindles.
- Prevents damage to your woodwork by eliminating the need to screw into your banister. Heavy duty nylon straps
- Fits square banisters up to a MAXIMUM of 4” x 4”, or round banisters up to 5” in diameter.
- Works with all brands of baby safety gates, both hardware and pressure mount.
- Each Qdos Universal Stair Mounting Kit is designed for one bannister for situations where there is a banister on one side and a wall on the other. If you have bannisters on both sides, you will need to purchase two Universal Stair Mounting Kits.
- Safety: Retractable gate featured with double locking mechanism creates a safety home for your curious crawlers and keep them away from danger, providing a safe, closed off environment to play.
- Retractable Design-Saving Space: This baby gates Fits openings up to 55" wide and is 33" tall which can be adjusted to fit your openings according to your needs. Mesh can be completely retracted away when not in use.
- Easy to use: Just gently press and push the button to lock and unlock the safety gate with one hand. The one handed operation make it super convenient to use when you’re holding baby or carrying toys, diapers, around.
- Fits Your Purpose: Perfect solution for doorways and stairs locking the way for babies and pets needed to provide safety and security in the whole house. The stair gates is used for children and pets blocking off their way out or in.
- Standard Approved: All gate lines are tested to the safety standards, meeting or exceeding both ASTM or EN standards. Each gate is certified and includes a 2 year limited warranty.
- UNIVERSALLY FITS: Expands to fit openings between 29-40" wide. Whether it is a narrow bathroom door and toilet door, or a wide doorway and stair it is suitable. Stands 30" tall. Ideal for use with toddlers and small pets. Please be sure measure your opening prior to purchase to ensure proper fit.
- EASY SET UP: Pressure mount design that is quick to set up. No additional tools are required for installation, and no need to punch holes in the wall. NOTE: before installation there will be a gap between the gate latch and the frame which is NOT a defect and it is NOT bent. This gap will be eliminated once installed.
- AUTO-CLOSE FEATURE: For added hands-free convenience, it is equipped with an auto-close feature that gently closes the door and a stay-open feature that keeps it open. it can be opened easily with one-hand operation.
- SAFE DOUBLE LOCK LEVER: Features a walk-through door designed with a double lock lever handle allowing adults to easily pass through. It is ideal as a play yard, fireplace barrier, at the landing of stairs, or a super gate for wide openings.
- ADJUSTABLE: Includes a 5.5" wide extension kit, 2.7" wide extension kit, 2 U-bolts, 2 anti-collision grooves and 4 wall protectors. Perfect for doorway, hallway and bottom of stair with banister. Can be removed quickly out of the opening for easy storage and reuse.
- EXTRA TALL AND WIDE: Expands to stairways and openings between 24-40.5 inches wide. Stands 38 inches tall
- 2-IN-1: Perfect top or bottom of stair use, doorways and hallways
- ADJUSTABLE: Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage. Wipes clean.Do not use abrasive cleaners or bleach
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Hardware mounted for added security
- SAFETY: Includes safety-lock feature. Perfect for children 6-36 months
- 【Large & wide】30.5 Inch height & 29.7-46 Inch width, This black gate is suitable for most doors! Our large walk thru gate makes it easier to walk when holding the baby. Great choice for new parents!
- 【Safe for baby】Your curious crawlers will be blocked by the baby gate at the top of stairs because we design the double-lock safety release which makes it difficult for toddlers to open the gate (aged 6-36 months). Babysitting your babies!!!
- 【Durable design】steel design baby gate can defend up to 150 pound impacts by Husky, Alaska etc. without budging at all! You do not need to worry about the baby gate being pushed down and hurting your children, great for a family with child and pet!!!
- 【Easy installation】 simple pressure mounting is easy enough for a nanny to install for grandkids in 10 minutes without any help. Free to go through from both sides. Perfect for stairs, hallway, doorways and open spaces(be ensure to measure the installation distance of the upper and lower walls is within 29.7-46Inch, If your wall isn't flush or have baseboards)
- 【Proud Recipient of the Mom's Choice Award 2022】Cumbor draw on decades of customer experience that's why parents and experts chose us. We're proud that our safety gates have become much loved fixtures in thousands of happy homes for protecting babies and pets.
- TOOL-FREE: The soft, unnoticeable silicone pads make our baby stair gate the perfect solution for scratch-free use on any surface. Drill-free and damage-safe, our adjustable baby gate for doorway is the hassle-free solution to the safety question: keeping your kids secure and your space protected.
- SAFE AND DURABLE: Our ratcheting system makes it easy to secure our stair gate for kids or pets to any wall. Since our stairs gate requires no extra hardware it is safe stair gates for toddlers. Our versatile gate has multifunctional use such as: Extra tall baby gate, tall baby gate, small baby gate, wide pet gate for stairs, puppy gate, and toddler gate.
- QUICK AND EASY: Offering easy installation and tool-free, simple assembly, our safety first gate for stairs is a breath of fresh air for your home decor. Adjustable cranks offer a completely customizable and portable design, without the need of hammers, drills, nails, or other tools.
- PERFECTLY VERSATILE: Portable, adjustable, and easy to install, our NaviGate child, toddler, baby, and pet gate is ideal for use in many indoor spaces, including the home, office, bedroom, hallway, doorways, and in daycares, hotels,RVs, apartments, restaurants, and shops.
- CERTIFIED AND REGULATED: The gold standard of responsible baby, pet, and toddler security, the NaviGate meets and/or exceeds compliance standards set fourth by APA, ASTM, and JPMA. It is is certified for safe and secure use by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association.
- PORTABLE DESIGN: The baby gate banister to banister design is easy to set up with no drilling required. The baby gate for stairs is ideal for home and travel.
- BABY & DOG GATE: This safety gate for kids or pets is strong, secure and can’t be pulled down or lifted when installed correctly. The fabric baby gates for stairs with banisters keeps everyone safe around staircases.
- RETRACTABLE FABRIC GATE: An attractive stair safety solution, the fabric baby gate rolls neatly to one side when not in use. Unlike traditional baby gates for stairs, fabric baby gates are far more difficult to climb.
- BANISTER TO BANISTER: Get the right fit first time – measure from the innermost edge of both banisters to find the right size baby stair gate. Custom and banister to wall gates also available.
- SAFE AND TESTED: The dog and baby gate staircase barriers are designed specifically for the stairs with banisters and meet strict US standards for stair gates and enclosures.
What is an alternative to a baby gate?
The Stair Barrier is going to be the next BIG thing. This stylish alternative to baby gates offers an effective way to protect children and pets from stair mishaps.
At what age do you stop using baby gates?
Install gates in homes with children between 6 months and 2 years of age. If possible, remove the gates when the child turns 2, or when the child has learned to open the gate or climb over it
Do you need baby gate at bottom of stairs?
Gates are particularly important if you have stairs in your house. In children under 2, falls from stairs are a leading cause of emergency department visits. It’s ideal to install safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs, but the top is the most critical spot.
How do I keep my toddler from climbing over the gate?
First things first. As soon as you bring the baby gate home and install it you will have to teach your child politely on his/her level that the gate is not meant to be climbed and he needs to be away from it at all times. Be very clear and humble so that your child listens to you carefully and understands you.
Do 3 year olds need gates?
But how do you know when it is safe to take down baby gates? A very vague rule of thumb is that kids up to the age of two years need extra protection. Another rule of thumb is that once the child’s chin is at the same level as the top of the gate the gate should be removed.
At what age can baby climb stairs?
Your baby will likely begin attempting to climb up stairs on all fours once they can crawl, around 9 months. The stairs are a tempting activity for babies who are realizing they can move around on their own.
Selecting the best baby gate is traditionally a must-do gear item for home baby-proofing once your baby is on the move and beginning to explore. Whether you have concerns about your child taking a tumble down the stairs or preventing the exploration of utensils and cleansers, it is often easier to block access to a specific area instead of locking cabinets or potential danger zones.