Your baby’s crib is basically the centerpiece of their beautiful nursery, so a lot of time goes into picking the right one. While finding a crib with the perfect aesthetic for your baby’s nursery is fun, you also want to consider its safety, functionality, and longevity, which is why convertible cribs are so ideal.
As far as safety goes, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the bars of your baby’s crib should be 2 3/8 inches apart to avoid the possibility of injury. While dropside cribs have been banned and taken off the market as per the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011, this crib style may still be circulating via secondhand sellers and should be avoided due to the suffocation and strangulation hazard.
Looking for a new crib for your baby? Here are the best baby gate to surround crib for 2022.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
How much should I spend on a crib?
In a recent survey by the Good Housekeeping Institute, the majority of our respondents said that they would ideally spend less than $300 on a crib. While it is definitely possible to get a great, safe crib for under $300, many cribs worthy of consideration cost far more than this. You also have to consider delivery and installation fees (unless you are picking up and installing yourself), as well as the cost of a crib mattress.
That said, convertible cribs offer a great value because you can use the same piece of furniture for your child’s sleep environment as your child grows instead of requiring brand new pieces to be purchased.
How do I pick a safe crib?
The best crib is one that is safe and that meets your needs. The good news on the safety front is that all new cribs sold in the United States are required to meet stringent safety testing as set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as part of the federal regulations of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
The basis for the safety requirements are two ASTM International crib standards which incorporate factors like the distance between slats, the physical integrity of the slats, crib hardware requirements and revised safety testing protocols.
Be exceptionally wary of buying or using a hand-me-down crib. Older cribs may not meet the more stringent safety standards in place today. Worn-out pieces or missing hardware can pose serious problems for the integrity of the furniture. If you do opt for a used crib, check that it has not been recalled and do your own safety checks to ensure it does not use drop sides, that the distance between the slats are no larger than 2 ⅜” apart, and that corner posts are not higher than 1/16”.
What to Look for When Buying a Convertible Crib
As with all baby products, safety is the first thing to look for when purchasing a crib for your baby. For the safest sleep environment, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says parents should look for a crib with bars spaced no more than 2.37 inches apart with more than 26 inches of bar space above the crib mattress when it’s sitting at its highest point and free of any decorative carvings or cut-outs that could be hazardous to a curious baby.
Convertible cribs are very popular, but not all of them offer the same conversion options. Consider which conversions will work best for your family. If you plan to have young kids close together, then you may just need a crib with multiple mattress height options, or if this is your last child then a 4-in-1 may be ideal so that it’s the only bed you’ll need to buy for them.
While convertible cribs are convenient, they may cost you a little extra upfront, depending on the type or brand you choose, and any additional pieces that are needed. Typically, not all conversion kits are sold with a crib and must be purchased individually. Overall, a convertible crib may save you money over time, but you will have to pay extra for conversion kits that are sold separately.
Materials and Durability
Since your baby will inevitably start chewing on the crib’s railing, make sure you’re getting one made of materials that are free of toxins. Also, look for a crib with high-quality paint or stain that won’t chip over time so that you can get as much use out of the bed as possible.
Finally, the crib should be securely assembled without wiggling or making a lot of noise when your child moves around in it. It’s possible that your baby will climb out of their crib at some point, so you want the crib to be durable, strong, and one you can reuse if needed down the road.
Design and Functionality
In addition to conversion options, you also want to consider the crib’s overall design. If it’s made to grow with your child, is the design trendy or something timeless that will still look good a decade from now? Does the design work for your lifestyle and/or the room that it’s in? Do you want one with wheels so that you can move it around easily?
While the crib’s overall look is the most fun thing to consider, you also want to be sure its design meets all of your needs. If you have a small room to work with, you’ll want a crib that fits in the space without it being too big.
Cribs by Age
Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
Our Proposed Top 10 best baby gate to surround crib Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- SUPERWIDE: Fits opens up to 192 inches wide and stands 26 inches tall
- 2-IN-1: Can convert from a super wide gate to an 6-panel play yard. No tools require, quick and easy
- CONFIGURABLE: Each panel can be adjusted to fit almost any opening. Great for wide spaces, angled openings, hallway, doorway or bottom of stairs. Folds flat for storage
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The design is durable and convenient. Can be used both indoor and outdoor
- SAFETY: designed with a safety locking feature. Wall mounted for added security and protection. Meets all current safety standards. For children up to 24 months and great for pets too
- Indoor, Outdoor Versatility: Exclusive reversible legs have outdoor stakes for lawn stability and anti-movement, non-scratch floor pads for any interior floor surfaces
- Spacious: Over 18.5 square feet and 28” tall provides a safe space for the child to play
- Easy and Quick Assembly: No tools required
- Unique Hinge Design: Each panel can be a door access
- Usage information: For use with children 6 to 24 months. Important: Never use with a child that is able to climb over, dislodge, or open the enclosure. Carefully read all instructions and warnings on the product, product labels, and instruction manuals before use.Installation Method: Hinge Connectors Locations for Use: Indoor and Outdoor enclosure. This enclosure should not be used as a Barrier
- EXTENDED WIRELESS COVERAGE: Adds Wi-Fi range coverage up to 1000 sq ft, and connects up to 15 devices such as laptops, smartphones, speakers, IP cameras, tablets, IoT devices, and more.
- AC750 WI-FI SPEED: Provides up to 750Mbps performance using dual-band and patented FastLane(TM) technology.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Works with any wireless router, gateway, or cable modem with Wi-Fi.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORT: Simply plug in game consoles, streaming players, or other nearby wired devices using the one 10/100M port for maximum speed.
- SAFE & SECURE: Supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols.
- EXTRA WIDE: Expands to fit openings between 29-34 and 35-38.5 inches wide. Stands 30 inches tall. Please be sure measure your opening prior to purchase to ensure proper fit. Note: This gate will not fit an opening between 34-35 inch.
- EASY TO USE AND SET UP: Pressure mount design that is quick to set up. Please note, before installation there will be a gap between the gate latch and the frame which is not a defect and it is not bent. This gap will be eliminated once installed.
- ADJUSTABLE: Includes a 6-inch wide extension kit and 4 pressure mount spindle rods. Perfect for doorway, hallway and bottom of stair use. Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage. Additional extensions sold separately.Wipes clean.Do not use abrasive cleaners or bleach
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Certified to both JPMA and ASTM standards. NOTE:The gap between the gate and wall should not exceed more than 2.5 inches
- SAFETY: Includes multiple safety-lock features, four wall cups for added security and mounting hardware. Please note, gate frame is design to be assembled at all times. Perfect for children 6-24 months. Great for pets too.
- Small yet powerful speaker for streaming music and more. Get rich, room-filling sound with Play:1, and control it with the Sonos app.
- The compact design fits just about any space. Put it on your kitchen countertop, or tuck it away on your office bookshelf.
- Go from unboxing to listening in minutes with just 1 cord and step-by-step guidance in the Sonos app.
- Pair 2 Play: 1's in the same room for stereo separation and more detailed sound.
- Easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over Wi-Fi to create a home sound system that brings every room and everyone together.
- 👑Spacious enough play area! - Our LIAMST playpen measures 51x51x27 inches outside and 50x50x27 inches inside, with plenty of space for toys, friends or pets, and plenty of space to play. Also makes a great ball pit for toddlers! The height of the fence is about 27 inches, which helps the baby to stand and walk, and the space of 50*50 inches in the yard is enough for them to explore around.
- 👑Let the baby play and have fun- For kids, it's all about fun! However, in daily life, mothers always have various trivial things to deal with, so they cannot take care of their babies all the time. Fortunately, LIAMST's portable fence can turn any place into a safe play space, allowing moms to free up their hands to do their own thing. (The ocean ball in the playpen is not included in the product)
- 👑LIAMST 360° Observe your baby for all-round care - Scientifically perfect height and ventilated mesh design provides 360° viewing angle. Whether sitting, lying, or standing in the playpen, the baby can see mom from multiple sides outside the mesh pen. The play area of the liamst playpen gives the baby a sense of security and reassures the mother. The burr-free mesh wall protects baby's tender hands and avoids climbing and pinching. (2 pull tabs included to help with walking).
- 👑 Give your baby a game world to explore and play! Whether at home or in the yard. LIAMST enclosures allow your kids to enjoy playtime anytime, anywhere. The abrasion-resistant oxford material is easy to clean, just hand wash and wipe with a damp cloth and soap to keep it fresh and hygienic.
- 👑Easy installation - Our liamst playpen is connected by alloy steel pipe and plastic joint, which is easy to disassemble and assemble. It can be removed in seconds (no tools required). The bottom is made of waterproof fabric for easy cleaning. See the installation instructions for details. (Please note: there is no seat cushion at the bottom, you need to buy a game mat to match the fence, which is more comfortable.)
- [High-Grade Durable Material] The stairway net is well made of thick hard mesh. Compared to other nets, which are made of flimsy material, our rail net is made of premium fabric that is resistant to tear. The net is also weatherproof and waterproof, can be used long time. Its honeycomb holes allow maximum visibility through the net, never obstruct your view
- [Stairs Safety Net for Children] The safety netting installed on the handrail can keep children from sticking their head and bodies through banisters, keep toys and shoes falling down from the gap between handrail bars. Best net to provide safe playing surroundings for kids when they play in the corridor, balcony and patios, etc.
- [Easy to Install] Using plastic hanging buckles come across net's holes, and then lock it with the rail post together, or use typing rope to fasten the net and rail post together to fix the net. If the railing is long, you can connect two or more net using the same installation way. If the railing is short, you can fold the net to install it
- [Widely Used] Perfect stairway net for indoor and outdoor use. You can use the net for kids' crib, corridor, décor, balcony, etc. to keep kid safety, toy safety, and pet safety
- [Premium Customer Care] We provides Customer Care on Amazon. We offer 30-Day-Care for defective products, please feel free to contact us through Amazon if you have any additional questions.
- THE ONLY GUARD THAT WORKS SAFELY ON BOTTOM SPINDLES! - Our innovative, patented baby gate wall protector was designed based on YOUR feedback and is the only one in the market that works on bottom spindles!
- EXTREMELY VERSATILE, CAN FIT ALMOST ANYWHERE! - The new designed pad's compact size allows it to be extremely versatile. It is small enough to fit in almost all gates supported areas for optimal safety results!
- KEEP YOUR WALLS DAMAGE-FREE! - Your child and pet’s protection are your first priority, but your walls need to be protected as well! That’s why our Wall Nanny’s soft rubber backing prevents any scuff, scratch or ding to your wall/trim!
- EASY TO INSTALL! - You can forget about tools for installation; our wall protectors were designed with your best interest in mind, hence they can be installed easily, without any tools or accessories!
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! - We worked really hard in order to offer you the best possible baby gate wall protector set your money can buy. If, however, you aren’t totally satisfied with your purchase, we offer you a 100% money back guarantee! The Wall Nanny is MADE IN AMERICA. Thanks for your support of American jobs.
- RETRACTABLE DESIGN RETRACTABLE BABY GATE IMPORTANT: This Extra Wide Outdoor Retractable Gate extends up to 55" wide and is 33" tall. Minimum width of opening is 27”; maximum width of opening is 55”,The best width of opening is 35”, designed to adjust to any door/stair width up to 55 inches. Mesh can be completely retracted away when not in use, saving your space.
- PRODUCT INSTRUCTION: Can be installed at top and bottom of stairways, doorways, hallways, indoor and outdoor use. includes components for easy installation: stainless steel screws, catch mounts, wall spacers and installation guide templates. must be fitted between rigid surfaces such as plasterboard, timber or hardwall.
- CONVENIENT ONE HANDED OPERATION: Very simple operation allows you to open and close while holding your baby or carrying toys, diapers.Just push and turn the ball cap to lock and unlock the gate with one hand.
- STRUCTURE FOR SAFETY LOCKING USE: There is a locking equipment at the top of the gate that turns to lock and unlock. A perfect solution for doorways and stairs locking the way for babies and pets needed to provide safety and security in the whole house. The stair gates is used for children and pets blocking off their way out or in.This product is intended for use with children from 6-24 months or small to medium pets.Never use with a child who is able to open or climb over the gate.
- 2 YEARS QUALITY QUARANTEE: We provide lifelong technical consultation and customer service. Just contact Dearlomum customer service if any issues happened.
- SUPERWIDE: Fits opens up to 192 inches wide and stands 28 inches tall
- 2-IN-1: Can convert from a super-wide gate to an 8-panel play yard. No tools require, quick and easy. Includes 4 pack of wall mounts
- CONFIGURABLE: Each panel can be adjusted to fit almost any opening. Great for wide spaces, angled openings, hallway, doorway, bottom of stairs or barrier. Folds flat for storage.Wipes clean
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door
- SAFETY: Designed with a walk-through door with safety locking feature. Wall mounted for added security and protection. Meets all current safety standards. For children up to 24 months and great for pets too
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cribs with adjustable sides safe?
Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate’s functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap.
Can crib height be adjusted?
There are many reasons to adjust your crib mattress’s height and angle. It’s safe to raise or lower the mattress height — as long as you do it correctly. The important thing to remember is to follow the guidelines: keep your baby’s crib clear, and watch their development so you know when to lower their crib.
Are drop side cribs banned in US?
For these alarming reasons, in 2011 the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC) banned the production and sale of drop-side cribs, as well as implemented strict safety standards and more stringent testing requirements across the crib-manufacturing industry.
Are some cribs safer than others?
Here are a few specific things parents should look for in a safe crib: Crib slats or bars should be no wider than 2 3/8 inches apart. Some experts suggest gauging whether a soda can would fit through — if so, they’re dangerously far apart.
Can newborn sleep in crib?
Your baby can start sleeping in a crib from day one, but you may decide to use a bassinet for the first month or so.
You may want to buy your baby gate to surround crib for a few months before your baby arrives to make sure that all the pieces are included in the box and they’re free of damage. Setting up your crib in advance also allows you to air it out if off-gassing or odor is a concern.
Plus, putting up the crib makes this whole baby thing a lot more real. After you’ve weighed all the many options and made a purchase, be sure to have some fun daydreaming about your little one snoozing in their new crib!