Your baby’s crib is basically the centerpiece of their beautiful nursery, so a lot of time goes into picking the right one. While finding a crib with the perfect aesthetic for your baby’s nursery is fun, you also want to consider its safety, functionality, and longevity, which is why convertible cribs are so ideal.
As far as safety goes, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the bars of your baby’s crib should be 2 3/8 inches apart to avoid the possibility of injury. While dropside cribs have been banned and taken off the market as per the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011, this crib style may still be circulating via secondhand sellers and should be avoided due to the suffocation and strangulation hazard.
Looking for a new crib for your baby? Here are the best baby crib matters for 2022.
Here are top suggested product lists for you.
How much should I spend on a crib?
In a recent survey by the Good Housekeeping Institute, the majority of our respondents said that they would ideally spend less than $300 on a crib. While it is definitely possible to get a great, safe crib for under $300, many cribs worthy of consideration cost far more than this. You also have to consider delivery and installation fees (unless you are picking up and installing yourself), as well as the cost of a crib mattress.
That said, convertible cribs offer a great value because you can use the same piece of furniture for your child’s sleep environment as your child grows instead of requiring brand new pieces to be purchased.
How do I pick a safe crib?
The best crib is one that is safe and that meets your needs. The good news on the safety front is that all new cribs sold in the United States are required to meet stringent safety testing as set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as part of the federal regulations of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
The basis for the safety requirements are two ASTM International crib standards which incorporate factors like the distance between slats, the physical integrity of the slats, crib hardware requirements and revised safety testing protocols.
Be exceptionally wary of buying or using a hand-me-down crib. Older cribs may not meet the more stringent safety standards in place today. Worn-out pieces or missing hardware can pose serious problems for the integrity of the furniture. If you do opt for a used crib, check that it has not been recalled and do your own safety checks to ensure it does not use drop sides, that the distance between the slats are no larger than 2 ⅜” apart, and that corner posts are not higher than 1/16”.
What to Look for When Buying a Convertible Crib
As with all baby products, safety is the first thing to look for when purchasing a crib for your baby. For the safest sleep environment, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says parents should look for a crib with bars spaced no more than 2.37 inches apart with more than 26 inches of bar space above the crib mattress when it’s sitting at its highest point and free of any decorative carvings or cut-outs that could be hazardous to a curious baby.
Convertible cribs are very popular, but not all of them offer the same conversion options. Consider which conversions will work best for your family. If you plan to have young kids close together, then you may just need a crib with multiple mattress height options, or if this is your last child then a 4-in-1 may be ideal so that it’s the only bed you’ll need to buy for them.
While convertible cribs are convenient, they may cost you a little extra upfront, depending on the type or brand you choose, and any additional pieces that are needed. Typically, not all conversion kits are sold with a crib and must be purchased individually. Overall, a convertible crib may save you money over time, but you will have to pay extra for conversion kits that are sold separately.
Materials and Durability
Since your baby will inevitably start chewing on the crib’s railing, make sure you’re getting one made of materials that are free of toxins. Also, look for a crib with high-quality paint or stain that won’t chip over time so that you can get as much use out of the bed as possible.
Finally, the crib should be securely assembled without wiggling or making a lot of noise when your child moves around in it. It’s possible that your baby will climb out of their crib at some point, so you want the crib to be durable, strong, and one you can reuse if needed down the road.
Design and Functionality
In addition to conversion options, you also want to consider the crib’s overall design. If it’s made to grow with your child, is the design trendy or something timeless that will still look good a decade from now? Does the design work for your lifestyle and/or the room that it’s in? Do you want one with wheels so that you can move it around easily?
While the crib’s overall look is the most fun thing to consider, you also want to be sure its design meets all of your needs. If you have a small room to work with, you’ll want a crib that fits in the space without it being too big.
Cribs by Age
Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
Our Proposed Top 10 best baby crib matters Reviews in 2022
Why 1st product is best than others?
As we pick this tough 1 premium bit as our first product except four others, there are valid and solid reasons behind this.
Undoubtedly, this is a classy and quality product that focuses on the demands of the owner. Nevertheless, it is very soft and comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. So can come to the decision that it combine quality and comfort altogether, this is a matter of great concern. Moreover, the amazing part is that is it so good for variety of options.
- 150 COIL COUNT -- Engineered with 150 extra firm heat-tempered interlocking steel coils for long-lasting support and secure-edge heavy gauge steel border rods, providing maximum support around the sides of baby’s mattress
- WATERPROOF SURFACE & COMFORTABLE LAYERS -- Reinforced cover with lock-stitched waterproof binding resists stains, odors and moisture
- SAFETY & QUALITY TESTED -- This entire crib mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality and tested for chemicals to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby
- MADE IN THE USA -- Sealy Crib and Toddler Mattresses are designed, engineered and proudly made in the USA of U.S. and imported parts. Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials
- PERFECT FIT -- Measures 51.7” x 27.3" and fits both USA standard size cribs and toddler beds. Beds, Bed frames and Foundations sold separately
- 100% BREATHABLE. Innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows your baby to breathe right through, reducing the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing.
- 100% WASHABLE & HYPOALLERGENIC. The only crib mattress that’s washable from cover to core. NO foam, glue, latex or springs. The only 100% RECYCLABLE crib mattress.
- 100% BETTER SLEEP. The right level of comfort, support and air circulation means your baby will sleep better on a Newton.
- INFANT AND TODDLER (2-STAGE) to support your growing baby — and the next one, too!
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED and PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED for your baby's health, safety and development.
- Comfort: This mattress features a firmer side for infants and a plush memory foam side for older babies and toddlers. Cover goes all around the mattress, just flip the mattress over!
- 100% Cotton Cover: A waterproof washable cotton cover protects your mattress.
- Tested: Meets or exceeds all US safety standards and requirements and uses only CertiPur certified foam.
- Quality: Milliard foam supersedes all with superior high density construction that will not lose its shape.
- Dimensions: Fits in standard sized cribs and toddler beds. Measures: 52 x 27½ x 5.5 inches.
- QUALITY THAT MATTERS: Our waterproof mattress protector is made of strong, reinforced bamboo rayon threads with 100% polyester and a waterproof lining to bring you a crib matters cover that’s durable enough to handle daily use and maintains its soft texture even after hundreds of washes
- SOFT & OH SO GENTLE: The baby crib mattress protector uses an ultra soft bamboo quilted cloth top and is filled with polyester to make sure it's luxuriously soft to touch and won’t make any crinkling noises to ensure a peaceful night’s rest. It’s waterproof but breathable to keep your baby warm and cozy
- STAYS SECURELY IN PLACE: These baby and toddler bed mattress protectors measure 28 x 52 x 9 inches (W x L x D) and feature longer skirts to provide a secure fit for your crib mattress. The elastic fabric ensures a snug fit that won’t slide off on its own but allows you to put it on or remove it easily for washing
- WATERPROOF & DURABLE: Our crib mattress protector is breathable, waterproof, and machine washable to make cleanups a breeze. It’s stain resistant and adds a touch of padding between the sheets and the mattress along with preventing any “accidents” at night from seeping through
- MADE TO LAST: If you’ve been looking for a waterproof mattress pad cover that’s both commercial-grade and just as comfy then you’ve found it. Our crib mattress pad protector is made for long term use and backed by our LIFETIME GUARANTEE - REPLACEMENT OR YOUR MONEY BACK, WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED
- WE PUT BABY’S SAFETY FIRST: Non-toxic construction is free from harmful materials/chemicals
- IDEAL FOR INFANTS AND TODDLERS: Premium sustainably sourced firm fiber core made from upcycled plastic bottles for a healthier, longer sleep for your newborn and toddler | SIZE: 27.5"W x 52"L x <6"H (fits standard cribs and toddler beds)
- WATERPROOF FOR EASY CLEANING: Durable, waterproof vinyl cover is easy to clean | Both sides of the mattress feature a waterproof cover, so flip the mattress when it comes time for your baby to move to a toddler bed for freshness
- SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS: GREENGUARD Gold certified: recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to healthier environments | Meets or exceeds flammability, lead, phthalate and CPSIA testing and does not contain toxic fire retardants
- MORE IMPORTANT INFO: Mattress comes with limited 7 year warranty | Made in USA | Lightweight design makes changing sheets easy | Square corners help for secure fit inside the crib or toddler bed
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Jilvontae, Niki (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 200 Pages - 12/15/2021 (Publication Date)
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: Certified products are screened for more than 10,000 chemicals and VOCs known to pollute indoor air
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED FOAM: Certified flexible polyurethane foams meet CertiPUR-US program standards for content, emissions and durability, and are analyzed by independent, accredited testing laboratories
- MACHINE-WASHABLE, WATER-RESISTANT OUTER COVER: Featuring soft, removable, water-resistant outer cover that can be machine washed; Gently unzip outer cover, machine wash in cold water (delicate cycle, no bleach) and hang dry (do not place in dryer machine)
- MATTRESS IN A BOX: Breathable foam core is recommended firmness for infants’ safer sleep; For optimal performance, allow mattress to expand immediately upon delivery in room temperature setting to allow maximum time for full expansion
- FITS STANDARD FULL-SIZE CRIB & TODDLER BED: Designed to fit any standard full-size crib, toddler bed; L (52 inches) x W (27.6 inches) x H (up to 5 inches); Weight (7 pounds); Mattress core made of polyurethane foam; 6-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- EXTRA FIRM & SUPPORT: The mattress 88 interwoven, heat tempered coils, 6-gauge steel border wire around perimeter of mattress offers a firm foundation and excellent support to meet the needs of your sleeping baby
- COMFORT & SAFETY ASSURED: Dual-sided cushion assures comfort. The twilight mattress comforts your infant and toddler. Flip and Rotate Mattress every 2-3 Months. Dream on Me Twilight Mattress is Greenguard Gold Certified, JPMA Certified and ASTM Certified
- FEATURES TO LOOK OUT FOR: The Reinforced, waterproof cover and lock stitched binding keeps prevents the liquid stains from seeping inside. Airflow pocket helps keep crib mattress fresh without the use of small metal vents
- EASY MAINTENANCE: Twilight Mattress is easy to clean and maintain. Wipe clean with mild soap and warm water. Safety advice: Please ensure Mattress covers or fitted sheets are not too tight or loose over a crib mattress to practices safe sleeping
- PROD SPECS: Fits all standard size cribs and toddler beds for years of use, comes with 10- Year Warranty Manufacturer’s warranty. Dimensions: 52L X 28W X 5H inches
- QUALITY BUILD: The Baby Fairy Dust 5” Mattress is made of plush yet firm breathable foam that fits a full-size crib & toddler bed.
- CONVENIENT & EASY TO CLEAN: The Mattress comes with a removeable outer cover that’s machine-washable. It’s also water resistant & stain resistant.
- SAFETY-FIRST: The Baby Fairy Mattress comes in the recommended firmness for infants, is Greenguard Gold Certified, JPMA-certified, and constructed of quality, fireproof fiber.
- YOU-CONSCIOUS: The Mattress comes with a 7- Year Warranty.
- PRODUCT SPECS: The mattress dimensions are 52” L x 28” W x 5” H.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Ilene Chaiken (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cribs with adjustable sides safe?
Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate’s functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap.
Can crib height be adjusted?
There are many reasons to adjust your crib mattress’s height and angle. It’s safe to raise or lower the mattress height — as long as you do it correctly. The important thing to remember is to follow the guidelines: keep your baby’s crib clear, and watch their development so you know when to lower their crib.
Are drop side cribs banned in US?
For these alarming reasons, in 2011 the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC) banned the production and sale of drop-side cribs, as well as implemented strict safety standards and more stringent testing requirements across the crib-manufacturing industry.
Are some cribs safer than others?
Here are a few specific things parents should look for in a safe crib: Crib slats or bars should be no wider than 2 3/8 inches apart. Some experts suggest gauging whether a soda can would fit through — if so, they’re dangerously far apart.
Can newborn sleep in crib?
Your baby can start sleeping in a crib from day one, but you may decide to use a bassinet for the first month or so.
You may want to buy your baby crib matters for a few months before your baby arrives to make sure that all the pieces are included in the box and they’re free of damage. Setting up your crib in advance also allows you to air it out if off-gassing or odor is a concern.
Plus, putting up the crib makes this whole baby thing a lot more real. After you’ve weighed all the many options and made a purchase, be sure to have some fun daydreaming about your little one snoozing in their new crib!